Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a 2009 JK X 2DR Wrangler. I bought it back in August and I am currently looking into purchasing some aftermarket toys for her. This is my first Jeep and I absolutely love it. However, the stock features have to go. I have been wondering what I should purchase first. At the beginning I started to look into lights, bumpers, interior and exterior accessories. But, I began to think maybe my first purchase should be new tires. You know, go from ground up (Plus I got some great stuff for Christmas). So I have looked through the threads and I have seen quite a few options but some of answers were still not found. First, I would like to get your opinion on a good, but fairly priced, set of tires, that are going to be mainly used for highway miles but if I need to go off-road I can still use them. I still want to use my factory (16” I believe) wheels, because I do have to pay for a wedding still, so I can't go all out on wheels, yet. I am aiming at making my jeep more “aggressive” looking. I have seen numerous factory tires/wheels on Craigslist from new Rubicon/Sahara owners that recently upgrade their tires/wheels. I was thinking about that route but I am unsure about getting the “aggressive” look I wanted. Plus I am sure stock Rubicon/Sahara tires are not as big as 32”. Secondly, I was thinking about a lift. I want 32” tires and seeing I won’t be doing too much off-roading, I just want a moderate lift (1” -2”). Saying that, I don’t know if I need a lift kit or just a spacer kit? Thirdly, with 32” tires would you suggest I replace shocks? And if so what should I look for. And lastly, I want to buy a leveling kit but I do not know if I should wait on that till after I purchase/install the new bumpers. As you can tell I am overwhelmed with suggestions and ideas. But, that’s why I love my Jeep; the options are so vast that it could be overwhelming. Thanks for your help.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Hi Jeremy :) Boy, that's a lot of ?'s... :) Stock 255/75/17's that come on Rubi's are considered 32's same as all other 32's don't actually measure out to be 32"... You don't need a lift to fit them, but if you get takeoffs you will need new wheels since they are 17 or 18" depending on which ones you get... The KM's on Rubi's are considerably better off road than the SRA's on Saharas. They are mostly a street tire. You shouldn't need to replace your shocks unless you lift it, then you'll want longer shocks and all that goes with. I'd wait till the extra weight comes to see if you need to level it.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
If you keep your eyes open you should be able to pick up a nice set of Rubicon tires and wheels for $600 to $800 for 5.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Stock Rubi tires are 32", no lift needed.

Depending on what springs you have now, you may see upwards of a two inch lift from just moving to heavy duty Mopar (i.e., Chrysler) springs. See here.

In that thread, there is a picture of a Jeep similar to yours that makes the switch to Rubi tires and heavy duty springs.

Not sure there's much reason to level a 2 door, particularly without a bumper (and if you go to HD springs, a bumper might not do much). It can be done though if it's important to you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I should look for a pair of Stock Rubicon Tires/Wheels? They are almost 32"s? If thats the case that is the route I will take. I am sure I can find some Rubicon tires/wheels. Is there another places, besides craigslist, that I should be looking? Thank you both!

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts