Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Long time Jeeper and new to the forum. I have a 2014 Rubicon JK 2 door. It was in a roll over accident on the freeway. Made it out pretty good shape thanks to the Poison Spyder Bumper and Stinger. (I will never not run one again)

Jeep is all put back together but it will not start. It is showing Can communication failures all over. There must be some central com box for CAN? I have been told I need to take it to the dealer to get it sorted (Bring lube and baggy pants)
Does anyone here have the Star machine like the dealer uses to diagnose my issues? Will pay $$ Just don't want to pay $$$$$$$$$.

Any help would be most appreciated. I am on the LA OC border In La Mirada

Cheers all

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I'm fascinated how your bumper helped in a roll over...

Is it turning over at all? I know that there are fuel pump shut offs that trigger in collisions and roll overs...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm fascinated how your bumper helped in a roll over...

Is it turning over at all? I know that there are fuel pump shut offs that trigger in collisions and roll overs...
Very heavy duty bumper but mostly the stinger. It came to a grinding stop on it and it prevented the entire front from caving in. Bent it pretty good but it saved the front grill and radiator assembly etc..
The jeep used to crank until I cleared the codes and tied the battery cables together to drain all of the caps. Now all it does is clicks. Yes battery is full charge. It won't crank in start or neutral. It would start with sure start then die like it was getting no fuel But there is no mention of any kind of roll over shut off for Jeeps this year. If anyone knows otherwise that would be great!

I am getting 10 different CAN codes like none of it is talking to the computer. Everything has been reconnected including grounds and triple checked for anything missed. Truly stumped here.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Does anyone here have the Star machine like the dealer uses to diagnose my issues?
Diagnosis is actually done by the ECM and other computer modules of the vehicle.

The SCANNER (people inaccurately call it diagnostic machine and alike) will only READ OUT what the vehicle computer has self-diagnosed. The difference in scanners is depth of being able to access various computers modules inside the vehicle and being able to make changes and run tests via bi-directional communication.

If you want a good relatively low budget scanner (around $100), I suggest to try Bluedriver or AppCar Diag FCA. I have AppCar Diag FCA and have not used Bluedriver myself yet, but have heard that Bluedriver is the best among universal low budget scanners in case you want something that you can use for your other vehicles as well. AppCar Diag FCA on the other hand is specifically for FCA vehicles and likely comes very close to the capabilities of the "Star Machine" with the EXCEPTION of programming.

I do have AppCar Diag FCA it has access to lot's of modules, perhaps all of them, but it is new to me and I'm still exploring it. However I have seen enough from it already to be able to highly recommend it with good conscion, in addition it is cheap enough anyway. I'm running it with the red USB cable (OBDLink SX, $30), that is among the recommended cables and on my old Windows XP machine (install on XP is a bit tricky, because the provided drivers for the red cable are Windows 7 and -up, but the scanner program seems fully Windows XP and -up compatible).

Side note: for now the only thing that I'm really missing on it is ABS bleeding.

So seems like if you have been able to get this far on your own, then if you invest some more time and a little bit of money in one of the above scanners, you should also be able to complete this all the way on your own.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts