Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting a build on my '87 YJ and I want to have a better sound system with a little more bass. I have kids, so... don't need huge wattage all the time. My music ranges anywhere between Jimmy Buffett to Rhett Akins to Motley Crue.

I will be wheeling this rig. So, I want a set-up that will take some weather without raping my wallet or take up too much space. The current Alpine head is tired, the dash speakers suck ok, the only things I'm keeping are the 6x9 pods by the back seats (my kids dig the cup holders).

I have access to a CNC plasma cutting table and a well equipped shop. I am planning on building a custom, steel console. Would this be a good home for a 8" sub and amp? How big of a speaker can I fit in a YJ dash if I cut it?

Thanks for your ideas!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
if you have the tools and knowhow you can build a box to go behind the dash speakers to give them a better sound, or even a mounting bracket so that the dash speakers are receded into the dash 3/4" so that if you get caught in a small shower the water will have a hard time getting to the speakers . if you do build a center console you can fit a 10" in there but an 8" would give you a little more room.

as for how big of a cut you can do to the dash for longer speakers i have no clue.

·
Registered
973 Posts
The problem with doing that behind the dash is the vent tubing. Really, you could cram a 6.5" in the dash...but you' have to make a custom tube for ac/heat. I want to say most 5.25" speakers have about a .25" gap before touching it.

EDIT: never mind, I reread the original post and he has a YJ. My statement was in reference to a TJ.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts