Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 94 and I have already replaced the starter n radiator. The overheating blew the head gasket. I don't have much experience but have the Haynes and motivation. Do I need to take the engine to tdc to remove the head??? Thanks everybody

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
No, but get the head checked by a shop. Overheating can cause cracking, and you dont want to replace the head only to find that out later.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Like camarozz said get the head pressure tested to make sure you are not wasting time and money on throwing a head gasket on a motor bith a screwed up head. It should be less than a hundred to get that done. Worth the piece of mind.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Uh, why would you not want to spin it to tdc 1st? You are, after all, completely disabling the timing. Much easier to reinstall everything at tdc then whatever it was on, and that is easiest to set when it is all together known good...

Set tdc before any major engine work and it will potentially save a step later. I do before I open anything that requires disassy of timing pieces. Do you have to? No, but why not?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Uh, why would you not want to spin it to tdc 1st? You are, after all, completely disabling the timing. Much easier to reinstall everything at tdc then whatever it was on, and that is easiest to set when it is all together known good...

Set tdc before any major engine work and it will potentially save a step later. I do before I open anything that requires disassy of timing pieces. Do you have to? No, but why not?
Yup, but you are not saving much, if any, time in doing so; in my experience it takes longer to reset TDC without the head off.

Without the head, it is literally spin it over till the timing marks line up and the #1 cyl is up.

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
Being that the i6 is a pushrod motor and not an overhead cam, you won't alter the valve timing when removing the head, it is however recommended to turn the motor over in steps when reinstalling the rocker arms and torquing their bolts down, but that doesn't mean you need to set the engine to tdc, won't really do much for you.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Being that the i6 is a pushrod motor and not an overhead cam, you won't alter the valve timing when removing the head, it is however recommended to turn the motor over in steps when reinstalling the rocker arms and torquing their bolts down, but that doesn't mean you need to set the engine to tdc, won't really do much for you.
:doh: I was thinking he was replacing timing as well for some reason...

Yeah, you dont have to do anything with the timing to only replace the head gasket.

I would leave the rockers loose or even off when torquing the head, then return the rockers and adjust them after the fact.

But, thats just me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts