Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a non biased TJ Guy. Im upgrading to a JKU. I've been reading as much as I can about these. I found a 2008 JKU sport,has a hard top. auto tranny, 3.73 gear and a clear car fax. (Just for fun its the Red Rock Crystal Pearl with black hard top) Dealer wants 17900 for it. My hold up is that is has 73000 miles. They say they will offer a lifetime powertrain waranty on it. My BIG Question is is 73000 to high miles for a 3.8. I know nothing about these engines yet. This will be my DD and Weekend warrior (when I get the chances). No big mods are planned as of yet most would be a front leveling kit.

Would appriciate any input.

Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Never had high mileage on the 3.8 in a JK but had another vehicle with the 3.8 and had over 250K on it and was still running great. Did start leaking a little oil after 200K but not much. My mom has had three Chrysler Caravans with 3.8 and put over 200K on all of them. The 3.8L motor has been around for a long time.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
Be careful what dealers offer as a lifetime powertrain warranty, it may require you to have all service and maintenance done at THAT dealership. Check into that. I have a 2007 with the same mileage and haven't had any engine issues(knock on wood)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
_3m said:
Be careful what dealers offer as a lifetime powertrain warranty, it may require you to have all service and maintenance done at THAT dealership. Check into that. I have a 2007 with the same mileage and haven't had any engine issues(knock on wood)
In most states that is now an illegal practice. As long as the work is done by a certified mechanic/shop you should be ok. Doesn't hurt to ask though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts