Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find the little plastic clip for my 2001 Sahara that holds the hood rod prop up in place when the hood is closed. Doing a google search the pictures look like the one the Jeep dealer sold me is for 2004-2006 and the other one I find on eBay is just a metal clip for 1995-2000.

Has anyone ever replaced that little plastic hood clip for their 2001, and if so where did you find it?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looks like the one the Jeep parts man sold me but mine only has one square platform that fits against the hood instead of the two with a space between them. Maybe now the rod is supposed to be held a little further away from the hood than the original clip did.

Thanks for that picture, at least now I know I have the correct one. i was afraid to try it because I broke one of the prongs off the old one getting it out so I knew I'd ruin the new one getting it out of the hole if it wasn't the right one. And I didn't want to ruin a $16 cheap piece of plastic. Nearly fainted when the parts guy told me what they cost, was figuring $2.50-$3.00 would be a big price for something like that. Course, as I've been told, Jeep stands for "Just Emptys Everyone's Pockets".

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm going to be honest. I don't even know where the hood prop is located on my rig. I've only had the Jeep for about a week.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I learned the hard way on my son's 97. Get the plastic one, it will work on the 97 and newer. It's hard to keep the metal ones clipped to the bottom of the hood.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to be honest. I don't even know where the hood prop is located on my rig. I've only had the Jeep for about a week.
Have you raised the hood yet? If so how did you keep it up while you did an inspection of the engine? That metal rod that keeps that keeps the hood up is what we're discussing, and the little clip that keeps the rod up against the hood so you can close the hood is the clip I'm trying to replace.

Or are you just pulling our legs? LOL.

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
Prop rod? You mean fold the hood to the windshield?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just noticed on eBay that same plastic clip is available for $8.50+$3.50 S&H even though it doesn't list 2001 but says it's because of those with a round hole. Good price and I'd jump on that if I hadn't already bought one form the local Jeep Dealer. Guess it's worth $5 to deal locally.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Not pulling your leg. I just held the hood up the whole time when I bought it.

It would be awesome if someone posted a picture of where it is. I've never owned a Jeep.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Had my Jeep for three years and ALWAYS push the hood back to the windshield. Much more room than using the prop. Forget that clip and be done with it!

·
Yipeee Kay Ayyy
2,839 Posts
I always rest the hood on the windshield when I can but sometimes I don't have the clearance or it's too windy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would suggest taking a really close look at your hood. I have a 2001 Sport and it was the metal clip that actually worked. It sets on the angled part of the hood. There was no place to insert the squared plastic part and the stealership (now I know why that word is used) wanted $18 for it. The partsman guaranteed it was the right one. He lost and I got the metal one for free. :)

For the first few months though I used velcro.

·
Registered
1 Posts
you can get the plastic clip from rock auto for $2-3.00.I have a 2001 sahara and mine has the plastic clip with the square hole in the hood like yours.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'll take the plastic clip if you're looking to get rid of it. Would probably fit in an envelope for shipping. PM me.
I just got one in the mail today, based on an above poster saying they would fit on 97 or newer. There's no hole the right size for the one shown in the pic/link. The square hole in my 98 hood is too big.
I got two of the metal clips, and it looks to me like they must use a special tool to put it in. You have to push hard toward the longer tab until the shorter one also drops through the little round hole. We'll see if my old arthritic fingers with a hammer did the job.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts