Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am swapping out stock sport tires for stock rubicons tomorrow. I have to have my stock TPMS swapped because the rubicons are from a 2012 and mine is 2013...search TPMS and you will understand why.

Anyway, I would normally think a balance would be required after mounting the tires to put on the TPMS but discount tire said they shouldn't need it.

I am not a tire expert and don't know if I should have them do it anyway or if would just be a waste of money??

Thoughts or experiences??

·
Registered
976 Posts
I am swapping out stock sport tires for stock rubicons tomorrow. I have to have my stock TPMS swapped because the rubicons are from a 2012 and mine is 2013...search TPMS and you will understand why.

Anyway, I would normally think a balance would be required after mounting the tires to put on the TPMS but discount tire said they shouldn't need it.

I am not a tire expert and don't know if I should have them do it anyway or if would just be a waste of money??

You are changing out a tire wheel combo you need to get them balanced imho

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
You are changing out a tire wheel combo you need to get them balanced imho
I agree. Notice they say "shouldn't" need it not that they "don't" need it. It's your decision. However, I would insist on it. If you allow them to be lazy they will be.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I'm guessing you have 2 complete sets of wheels and tires and are simply using the 2012 wheels and tires so they don't actually need to remove the tire from the wheel they will just break the bead on the ONE side of the tire to get the sensors in, if they do that the tires will still be mounted in the exact same place as before so no balancing should be necessary.... I used to do this for a living

·
Super Moderator
23,167 Posts
how many miles on the new set you are going with?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New set has less than 900 miles. And yes they just have to break one side. That's I guess why they said they wouldn't need to rebalance. I will talk with them and watch like a hawk from the waiting room and see what they do. If they do like you said and still mount them in the same place I will let it go. If not, well it's only money!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would definitely rebalance them. Does not take long, it would suck if they were out and you had to go back. I would think I could be dangerous if they were out a lot.

How much are they going to charge to balance them?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Get them balanced. If they are Duratracs, get them road force balanced. Even if it's not dangerous, I had so many steering wheel shimmies and vibrations with a 10K set of Duratracs near 55mph that weren't balanced properly. I was chasing potential alignments, potential loose track bar bolts, potential worn holes, (the stickied thread about death wobble is a godsend by the way) and all the while it was just that the no talent ***clowns in Maryland did a retarded job of balancing my Duratracs.

Roadforce balance by Discount here in Indiana, and no wobbles, shakes, shimmies, or anything. It's cheap insurance, and a pleasure to drive again at any speed, anywhere, anytime.

·
Super Moderator
23,167 Posts
I too would spend the few dollars to get them balanced. 900 miles is not many miles but still enough that if it were me I would balance them, I drive 75-80mph tho, if only driving slo might not matter as much.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get them balanced. If they are Duratracs, get them road force balanced. Even if it's not dangerous, I had so many steering wheel shimmies and vibrations with a 10K set of Duratracs near 55mph that weren't balanced properly. I was chasing potential alignments, potential loose track bar bolts, potential worn holes, (the stickied thread about death wobble is a godsend by the way) and all the while it was just that the no talent ***clowns in Maryland did a retarded job of balancing my Duratracs.

Roadforce balance by Discount here in Indiana, and no wobbles, shakes, shimmies, or anything. It's cheap insurance, and a pleasure to drive again at any speed, anywhere, anytime.

I am just going to have them do it just so I never wonder. $16 a tire I think they said

·
Super Moderator
23,167 Posts
I am just going to have them do it just so I never wonder. $16 a tire I think they said
good choice. Make sure you tell them to put the weights on the inside.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts

They should not need it if only breaking top bead. They are not trying to screw you in any way or they would be trying to take your money, not save you some.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They should not need it if only breaking top bead. They are not trying to screw you in any way or they would be trying to take your money, not save you some.
Decisions decisions. I will just have them talk me through it and see how it goes. Maybe they can check balance before hand on one of the tires to make sure they are good?? They have been sitting in a shed for at least a few months so I don't know how that would change it???

·
Super Moderator
23,167 Posts
how do we know the 13 and up sensors weigh the same as the 12 and down sensors?

·
Super Moderator
23,167 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
They will likely charge you for balancing each tire they put on the machine even if they are just "checking" it.... In reality it's only $16 a tire but as long as the tires were stored inflated and not deflated stacked on top of each other they will be the exact same as they were on your last Jeep... as for the weight difference between monitors I can't say as I've not seen the 2013 sensors however every other Chrysler TPM sensor I have seen are all VERY much the same they just run on a different frequency

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I needed some stock JKUR tires swapped with my JK Stock tires and the TPMS swapped as well because of the change from 12 to 13s. I called discount tire and they quoted me 50 without balance and an extra 16 per tire for balance. Ok great sounds like a good deal. I get there this morning and the service advisor writes it up and says it will be $340!?!? Whoa buddy you guys quoted me MUCH lower on the phone. So the service advisor goes in to the garage and talks to another guy, they go out to my jeep, come back and says the best we can do is $180. Damn I didn't know I could negotiate prices with discount tire!?!?! How about 75!!! Nope. Needless to say I left that place in a hurry and won't be going back. THE DEALER WOULD DO IT FOR $160!!! SO WATCH OUT FOR DISCOUNT TIRE SAN ANGELO, TX. GO TO WILSON TIRE OR THE DEALER MUCH BETTER PRICES. sitting at Wilson tire now doing everything for $130 but wait, they also buy tires and rims so I am actually making money on the deal. Just had to get that off my chest.

Posted this in general discussion too but just thought I would copy and paste it over so more people could see it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Are you sure they aren't trying to sell you new sensors? Those puppies are expensive/

Either way, $16 per tire for a balance job seems high to me, but I bought my duratracs through DT and get lifetime balancing and rotations so I have them all balanced every time they rotate.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am pretty sure I made it VERY clear what I needed done. Maybe they just don't know how to listen...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts