Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 92 wrangler 2.5L temperature gage always reads around 100, has done this since I have owned it. Before I put in an aftermarket gage, would like to get this gage operating correctly if at all possible. Really would appreciate any information anybody can pass along to get the gage working, bothers me not knowing the correct running temperature in case it would over heat sometime. All I am working with is an aftermarket repair manual which is good but doesn't cover allot of the detailed stuff. Thanks in Advance . . .

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Its probably the temp sensor located at the rear of the head, drivers side, hard to see buts its there...cheap enough to try. You'll need a deep socket to get the old one out and be careful installing the new one,they break pretty easy..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I will replace the sensor and cross my fingers, thanks much for the help. I will let you keep you updated on the results.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well here is what I did today in attempt to fix the temperature gage. Read in a post here from awhile back a similar problem, the gage would not read past 100. The theory was the gage works with a thermistor, all about resistance, as the coolant heats up the resistance of the thermistor drops thus less resistance the higher the gage reads. The fix in their case was to remove the gage pod and clean the contacts and connector pins which maybe be corroded over the years creating a resistance which would cause the gage to read low. Took the gage cluster out, which was a Pain with an aftermarket radio and pulled the gage cluster apart and cleaned both the actual gage connections and pins in the connector. Sorry to report, No difference. So I guess I will change the sensor next, just changed water pump and thermostat, was hoping the contact cleaning would work to avoid messing with the cooling system again.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Does everything else work in the dashboard? Even those little lights for lighting it up at night?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the most part other gages are working, oil pressure no problem, alternator no problem, the gas gage is always registering full (wish it were) but thing the tank sending unit maybe to blame there, and the water temp as mentioned is only going a little past 100. Just got back from the parts store, he suggested trying to ground the sensor wire to the frame and see if its pegs the water gage, if it does, would be the sensor. Haven,t tried that yet. But if you have any suggestions sure am open to any thoughts. I guess what concerns me is that it is reading a little just not correctly. I just may go ahead next week and get the sensor, it is only $12. Any ideas or comments . . . Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh . . . forgot to mention, all other dash lights for night are working properly are far as I know. Haven't had the Wrangler just a few months but everything else seems fine.

·
Registered
742 Posts
As long as this was the way it was when you got it AND you replaced the thermostat and it still read the same definitely replace the sensor first and then the wire. Cheap parts which will probably fix the problem. I bet it's the sensor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts