Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Do you drive in the dust? Have you ever wondered if your air filter is working properly?

If you drive in dust (like me) a UOA will help you determine if your filter is working properly. If you drive in the dust and have a Silicon level in the low teens then your filter setup is probably good. If you see higher numbers then you may need to do some work. If you have really high numbers you need to fix something.

Don’t want to do a UOA? Well, you can take off your air inlet tube (connects your air cleaner box to the engine). Do you see/feel any dust in the tube? It should be clean - no dirt. Do you see any indication of dirt coming in at the ends of the tube where it’s clamped to the box and throttle body? When you take your air cleaner out of the box do you see any indication of dirt/dust up in the lid (it should be clean)?

If you don’t drive in the dust, or your UOA looks clean, and/or your components are clean then you’re probably good. If your UOA is high or you see dust then read on.

I first noticed an issue with my engine when I sent some oil in for analysis. I got back some numbers that showed excessive dust in my oil. After some investigation I found the culprits. With the stock setup of my ’08 I’ve found dust can get in where the air box is supposed to seal against the filter and at the two clamps on the air inlet tube. Dust infiltration at either of the clamps can allow dust to be sucked into the combustion chamber and a leak at the air box can also allow dust to be sucked into the oil (via the hose that runs to the crankcase).

To correct the problems I sealed the hose ends and air cleaner top with CRC Synthetic Brake and Caliper Grease (it says won't melt up to 600ºF and won't react with plastic or rubber). I also installed a filter on the line to the crankcase, and got some better clamps for the tube.

I’m still driving in the dust and since I’ve made these modifications I’m seeing normal Silicon levels in the oil.

Let me know if you need more details.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
104 Posts
I remember my father - a mechanic - doing that decades ago.... I didn't know that people still do that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts