Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
89YJ 4.2 - currently installing Sniper EFI. 4"lift, 33" tires, yada yada
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it's time for a new battery.
It's not a daily driver so it does sit, sometimes for weeks at a time. In the winter, it could even sit for a couple months in the cold.

Anyway...
I was looking at the Optima series of batteries. Yellow Top looks right up my alley. Any suggestions or recommendations?

http://www.autozone.com/landing/page.jsp?name=optima-batteries

·
Registered
48 Posts
When I replaced mine I went with a die hard, I believe? from k mart. Gold series and pretty fair on the price. Huge battery! Fits very snuff in the battery platform. Also could take the hot post of might save some juice

·
Registered
89YJ 4.2 - currently installing Sniper EFI. 4"lift, 33" tires, yada yada
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, in the future I will definitely disconnect when sitting for longer periods.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If your old battery was draining faster than normal it probably wouldn't hurt to check if you have something pulling juice when it sitting but if that's the case disconnecting the hot is a temporary fix.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Yellow tops can recover from zero voltage. Lead acid batteries never fully recover from zero voltage.

Given the cost of a Yellow top, consider a float charge, solar or battery disconnect.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
The Optima batteries used to be the "go to" battery for the off road world because you can mount them anywhere and even lay them on their side.

But alas, each company that needs mass production, does so by having a 3rd world country do the work, and that in turn cheapens the product.

The last Optima that I bought was made in Malaysia. And it is built cheap. But I paid a premium price for it at almost $200. And to top it off, it was new in Oct. 2014, and now only 4 months later it is currently on a charger because of all the cold weather starts that has drained it.

I will get a new battery in the spring, and it will NOT be an Optima.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Thanks for the experienced share, forlife. I have never broke the wallet for one myself and never will after reading your experience.
I had DieHard a couple or few times in various vehicles, and was always impressed with them. They always had a long and strong lifespan in my experience.
Even the cheapo Duralast I've been running for 3 years now works good and has in prior vehicles.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Look at the Diehard a Platinum, it's a sealed AGM battery made by the same company that makes Odessey batteries. The design of the cells are supposed to better/larger than the round cell Optima.

·
Registered
471 Posts
get whatever you want... if it sits for long periods, it will put the same 'wear and tear' on it as any other battery...

I would also get a solar 'trickle' charger... that way it is acting more like a battery, charge/discharge, repeat

·
Registered
81 Posts
Battery

OPTIMA IS THE WAY TO GO. I have them in most of my vehicles...they last an astronomical amount of time. And as stated above...they recharge from zero very easily.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I have a Duralast Gold and it's been going strong for 5 years now. Proving you can cheap out and get away with it sometimes lol.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wondering if any other YJs have this Optima Red Top battery and if i should consider this for my 94 (mostly stock but it is a work in progress for years to come). I am good with mid range parts that need replacing, so is this such a battery?

My current battery just rolled over the 7 year mark (assuming that sticker on the side is correct). Never needed to buy a car battery before but it sounds like i may be pushing it for another winter. I figure now is the time to change it?

Thank you.

·
Registered
958 Posts
You really can't beat Optima. I had their red top in an old car and it lasted a long time. I was sad to replace it because I couldn't afford the cash when it went. If you can, definitely. Great deep-cycle battery that will take some abuse.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have the Optima Yellowtop it helps run my winch and lights. I've have had it in the 93 YJ for five years. I have left my lights on and completely drained it twice. Re-charged and never look back great battery.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
I'm going to go with this from Northstar Batteries.

BCI Group Number 24
Height with Terminal 8.81 in
Width 6.77 in
Length with Rib 10.87 in
Weight 57 lbs
Terminal Configuration Marine
Pulse Cranking Amps 1,500 A
CA/MCA Rating at 32°F 1,010 A
Cold Cranking Amps at 0°F 840 A
Cold Cranking Amps at -20°F 590 A
Reserve Capacity 160 min
Capacity - 20 Hour Rate 75 Ah
Capacity - 10 Hour Rate 73 Ah
Internal Resistance 3.4 mΩ
Short Circuit Current 3,100 A
Warranty 3 years ful

·
Super Moderator
13,389 Posts
I had a Batteries Plus top of the line in my camper. When it failed on the road there wasn't a Batteries Plus store within a hundred miles. I replaced it with a NAPA top of the line. There is a NAPA store in just about every podunk town wherever I go. Replacing it should never be a problem if it ever fails.
As far as sitting for long periods, get a battery tender ($60.00 to $75.00) if you can get an extension cord to the Jeep. I have battery tenders on my ATV and my mower. They always start. I also have a Battery Tender on my camper battery. The camper sits outside all winter. If electricity availability is a problem try a Harbor Freight solar charger. I hear they work well but I have never used one myself. Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I run the Panasonic factory Toyota battery that I pulled from my totaled fj last year. This battery came in the fj back in 06. Was used, running aux lights, winch, ARB fridge and never missed a beat. Can run the fridge for 2 days and still start the jeep. Barley fits the yj tray but is one good battery.

Electrical wiring Wire Vehicle Cable management Auto part

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
When I replaced mine I went with a die hard. Huge battery! Fits very snuff in the battery platform.
same... been buying DieHard since the '70s... never been let down. Don't think I'll ever change.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts