Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Done a fair amount of research on this, and I'd love to run my potential set up by all you experts out there. I've owned my JK 2D for a year now, and it's time to make it more fun! Here's what I THINK I want, based off all the threads I've read here in the forums, but want to know if it's a good set up.

Teraflex 2.5" lift kit w/o shocks ($491.14)
Rancho RS999329XL front shocks ($110)
Rancho RS999330XL rear shocks ($110)

Is there anything else you would recommend? I've heard about a TF Monster Adjustable Trackbar, but don't know if I need a front or rear trackbar.

I've also heard of the Rancho RS6250B Control Arm correction bracket ($132).

Do I need these parts or no? And would I need any other parts I missed?

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Oh, I should mention, this set up is more simply for my daily driving. I don't go off road very much... kids don't like it... yet :)

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
What isn't it doing for you now that you want to do? Or what is it not doing well that you want to do better? I have done the lift and shocks you mentioned but specifically for off roading and the whoopdies in the sand. I have not done any of the trackbar stuff. Again, it depends on what you want to do with this. For daily driving, does it work fine now? If so, why change? If not, what doesn't work?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What isn't it doing for you now that you want to do? Or what is it not doing well that you want to do better? I have done the lift and shocks you mentioned but specifically for off roading and the whoopdies in the sand. I have not done any of the trackbar stuff. Again, it depends on what you want to do with this. For daily driving, does it work fine now? If so, why change? If not, what doesn't work?
Call me shallow, but I want it for looks :)

I am happy with my current stock Jeep, but would be even happier with the mods I want to add on. Will be adding 33" tires and new wheels as well for a new look.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Looks are just fine. They are just as good a reason to do something as anything else. Don't apologize for that. The lift will change your looks. You might want to do wheel spacers to change your looks as well - or just do wheels with a better backspacing and you won't need spacers. I think shocks are better than shock extensions but that's because I wheel. For your uses you can save money with shock extensions instead of shocks. Only do the trackbar and ca stuff if you have to.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks are just fine. They are just as good a reason to do something as anything else. Don't apologize for that. The lift will change your looks. You might want to do wheel spacers to change your looks as well - or just do wheels with a better backspacing and you won't need spacers. I think shocks are better than shock extensions but that's because I wheel. For your uses you can save money with shock extensions instead of shocks. Only do the trackbar and ca stuff if you have to.
Cool, I appreciate that. I already have 1" spacers on there... did that when I bought the Jeep. I will probably buy the shocks just in case I take her out once in a while for some mild wheeling. Couldn't hurt, right?

Thanks for the advice, my friend! Have a good one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
adamsesq, did you need exhaust spacers when you installed the Rancho 29's? Some others have said I would need to. Not doubting them, but curious if you had to.

·
Retired Moderator
104,188 Posts
I moved you to the JK Technical Forum. You should receive more responds to your questions in this Forum.

I see that you are in Surprise, I am in Cave Creek..

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I would recommend the TF track bars if you have the extra coin. While not a necessity at that lift height being more rigid than stock they give a tighter feel in handling. Check out their video on YouTube it will show what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
22 Posts
After a lot of searching, I just pulled the trigger on this exact set up earlier this week. Parts still coming in, so haven't installed. I did go ahead and get the monster front trackbar, exhaust spacers (2013 Unlimited Rubi), and the Rancho brackets. So, literally exactly what you are thinking. I went with new rims with backspacing to fit 35's. Also- don't forget about programmer and spare carrier if you are going up in tire size. I went Teraflex HD carrier and Superchips tuner. Both of which are installed and I'm very happy with. After a lot of looking, you should check out north ridge 4x4 if you haven't- they have a deal with that lift and those shocks, plus Rancho has a mail-in rebate to check out. I'm at least 2 weeks out from install on the rest, but I can let you know how it turns out if you want.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
adamsesq, did you need exhaust spacers when you installed the Rancho 29's? Some others have said I would need to. Not doubting them, but curious if you had to.
After a day of wheeling without I did not show any signs of rubbing BUT I did go ahead and put them in just in case. $40 seemed like good insurance to me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After a lot of searching, I just pulled the trigger on this exact set up earlier this week. Parts still coming in, so haven't installed. I did go ahead and get the monster front trackbar, exhaust spacers (2013 Unlimited Rubi), and the Rancho brackets. So, literally exactly what you are thinking. I went with new rims with backspacing to fit 35's. Also- don't forget about programmer and spare carrier if you are going up in tire size. I went Teraflex HD carrier and Superchips tuner. Both of which are installed and I'm very happy with. After a lot of looking, you should check out north ridge 4x4 if you haven't- they have a deal with that lift and those shocks, plus Rancho has a mail-in rebate to check out. I'm at least 2 weeks out from install on the rest, but I can let you know how it turns out if you want.

Awesome man! Good luck with yours. I am installing mine this weekend. Tires are going from a 255/75R17 tire to 285/70R17... you think I will need to replace the spare tire mount still?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm a new Jeep owner so I was wondering if people do lifts, like the 2.5 mentioned by the OP, most times for looks or if they are actually going offroad? Also, how is the driving performance changed with a lift in regular highway driving and cornering around town?

Sorry another question, I purchased my 2015 Jeep used and it already had 285/70R17 on it but I was wondering if you think it's been lifted already. Again, I'm a new owner and have only owned it for a week or so.

It seems kinda' high, to my wife at least.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts