Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lifted my Jeep, and put 35s on it. Now the tires stick out of the fenders about an inch or so. It looks awesome, but throws dirt and crap all over the side of it, including onto the roof.
I run topless in the summer, and it's my daily driver. I'd like to get some fenders, and have been looking at the MCEs, but nowhere on their website does it say if they're wider.
Anyone have any suggestions for some cool looking, durable fenders for my 15 JK?

Thanks,
cS

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have bushwacker flat flares. The rears measure 5.5 inches at the top from the body which is about the same as un-cut stock flares. I see a lot of companies advertise stock width and skinny. But no real mesurements. Gen-right advertises a rear 4 inch flare. This would be the same as a cut stock flare which doesn't make sense. Metalcloak says their tube flares are actually 6 inches. I would probably buy some if I knew for sure they would cover my tires. I really like crawler conceptz flares so I e-mailed them and asked how wide they were. I did not get a reply.

·
Super Moderator
21,984 Posts
I doubt any flat fenders flares will work as well as stock flares. I know I am thinking of going back to stock flares, currently have Bushwackers. the new Mopar Highline flares look good tho.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I doubt any flat fenders flares will work as well as stock flares. I know I am thinking of going back to stock flares, currently have Bushwackers. the new Mopar Highline flares look good tho.
You really think you will get more coverage from the stock flares? I doubt it. My bushwackers make a cavern out of the wheel well to the point that I wish they were skinnier, even though I am already illegal here if someone really wants to bust balls. The stocks definitely did not add as much *perceived* coverage.

·
Super Moderator
21,984 Posts
You really think you will get more coverage from the stock flares? I doubt it. My bushwackers make a cavern out of the wheel well to the point that I wish they were skinnier, even though I am already illegal here if someone really wants to bust balls. The stocks definitely did not add as much *perceived* coverage.
well I can tell you with 100% certainty that my vehicle stayed a heck of a lot cleaner in the slush and mud with stock flares. I run 35's on rims with 4.5", 4.75" and 5.2" backspacing (I run/ran both two pairs of aevs pintlers and saltas and Raceline raptors and also stock rims with 1.5" spacers). The BW might look like they are giving cavernous coverage but my experience is otherwise. I think it is because the way they are tapered on the ends which allow a free path for the crap to come spraying up. people who follow me say it is pretty amazing looking seeing crap coming up.

·
Commercial Member
1,550 Posts
Not to hijack, if you go back to stock flares, don't you have to add more bumpstops? I know you got your bumpstop down just right with your flat fenders...

·
Super Moderator
21,984 Posts
Not to hijack, if you go back to stock flares, don't you have to add more bumpstops? I know you got your bumpstop down just right with your flat fenders...
yes, giving up some up travel has been the only reason I have not yet. Been toying with the mopar highline flares as well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
yes, giving up some up travel has been the only reason I have not yet. Been toying with the mopar highline flares as well.
If I ever decide to go to 35s (33s now) those will be the flairs I will be going with over bump stops for sure.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
well I can tell you with 100% certainty that my vehicle stayed a heck of a lot cleaner in the slush and mud with stock flares. I run 35's on rims with 4.5", 4.75" and 5.2" backspacing (I run/ran both two pairs of aevs pintlers and saltas and Raceline raptors and also stock rims with 1.5" spacers). The BW might look like they are giving cavernous coverage but my experience is otherwise. I think it is because the way they are tapered on the ends which allow a free path for the crap to come spraying up. people who follow me say it is pretty amazing looking seeing crap coming up.
I can definitely see them providing less protection to the side of the vehicle due to their shape. On that I would agree with you. As far as the cops go, I think the tops of the flares stick further out than stock though.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The rugged ridge hurricane flat flares are an inch or two wider than stock. Great clearance too. I'm down to 1" bump stop all around with tires that measure 34" on the jeep, with some extra room still even.

·
Super Moderator
15,372 Posts
Make sure you hit up @Comanche Scott, he's installed those and can give you some insight.

·
Super Moderator
21,984 Posts
Anybody have any idea what the mopar flares cost? Do they retain the inner skirt too?
I think msrp is $795 so figure 10-15% off of that thru on line places. Not sure on how they do the inner fenders. Looks like they might come with them but not sure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts