Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Looking forward to your build! This is something I've been dreaming about. Not sure it'll ever happen but, we'll see! Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Rich, here are a few starter pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Very Cool JEEP!!

Thanks for sharing. You may want to consider some mods to increase your flex a little bit.. Hahaha!
I try my hardest.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Loooove my MoTech L9H!

I actually think this is the easiest route. My original plan was a Hemi swap but the more I researched it the more complicated of a swap it became. Take into consideration that the LS is a much more compact engine that leaves plenty of room for my dual batteries and actually weighs less than the 3.8 that's in it. I'm not 100% sure of the LC9 weight being an aluminum block engine but the iron block LM7 is 418lbs. The 6L80E has a taller OD but a much lower 1st gear effectively giving the sport 2.72:1 factory transfer case a an overall crawl ratio in 1st almost exactly the same as my stock drivetrain with my RockTrac TC but with my 4.88s but with a lower 70 mph cruise RPM. Now I can either go super low with my Rock Trac or sell it to pay off some of the swap costs. Overall it is a much better fit than the Hemi would have been. Of course it isn't a mopar drivetrain but I'll find a way to look past that..

Congratulations! :) I'm excited to hear how this goes for you. If I could've done mine myself, I would have. Robbie and Mitch are great guys. I just got my Jeep back about a week ago. 6.2L V8 L9H with the 6L80 trans and Camaro SS fan & radiator. I got the EZ engine mounts (no cutting on my baby) and Billet Accessory drive so I'm running the stock Jeep accessories. I also got the new MoCAN. There are a few tiny 'glitches' (a random "ding" sound occasionally, a dash light for a few seconds) but everything else works great! I live in the Colorado mountains and literally used to fear for my life trying to pass up hills. Not anymore! I'm a regular working-stiff and had to sell my home to make this happen, but TOTALLY worth it.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post a video link (new here)? But this is the test drive of my Jeep. Robbie explains the pwm fan, mounts, and other things, if you're interested.

https://youtu.be/Kqub5g1egLc

Pic of engine "Before" is on the left, "After" on the right.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Quick update.. Quote is in for the premium install kit including Aluminum radiator, transfer case adapters, and some other bells and whistles. Certainly not cheap but what I expected. Robbie offered to split this up into a couple payments as the project progressed this winter. First will cover all the hard parts to get the engine, transmission and transfer case installed with all the accessories and the radiator. The second payment will cover the magic that makes it all run. Considering that this project is including a Pro Rock in front, an entire strip of the rear axle to install all new Artec brackets, spring perches and axle truss and a EVO cage I think that will work out perfectly. This will be a WINTER project.. an ALL winter project!

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Congratulations! :) I'm excited to hear how this goes for you. If I could've done mine myself, I would have. Robbie and Mitch are great guys. I just got my Jeep back about a week ago. 6.2L V8 L9H with the 6L80 trans and Camaro SS fan & radiator. I got the EZ engine mounts (no cutting on my baby) and Billet Accessory drive so I'm running the stock Jeep accessories. I also got the new MoCAN. There are a few tiny 'glitches' (a random "ding" sound occasionally, a dash light for a few seconds) but everything else works great! I live in the Colorado mountains and literally used to fear for my life trying to pass up hills. Not anymore! I'm a regular working-stiff and had to sell my home to make this happen, but TOTALLY worth it.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post a video link (new here)? But this is the test drive of my Jeep. Robbie explains the pwm fan, mounts, and other things, if you're interested.

Awesome!!! I'll take a look at your video. You guys are killing me with your 6.2L engines though... Hahaha..

I completely understand the fear of passing up hill but I can only imagine at your elevation in Colorado it had to be all that much worse. Mt Washington is only 6289ft and the highways and roads around it go from a couple hundred ft to 1500 or so.. Not anything like the elevations you guys experience out there and my Jeep drove me nuts!

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

Wait.... Did I just read that right? You had to sell your home to do this? :jawdrop:

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Hey Rich,

This or a supercharger is on a list of potential mods for many of us. Can you ball park costs at some point? Appreciate it!

-Steven

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wait.... Did I just read that right? You had to sell your home to do this? :jawdrop:
:happyyes: You've heard that saying "You can live in a Jeep (been there) but you can't drive a house"? I didn't sell the house just for my Jeep, I moved to a more affordable part of the state.

I found the cost to be very reasonable considering how long it would've taken me to do it myself. It's my only motorized transport.

Do you have a backup cam? I do and it's the only thing that isn't working now. Interested to hear about your accessories too. Not sure how much LED lighting you have, I've heard that can wreak havoc on the system that is pwm for incandescent bulbs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
RichL35, you've probably already thought about this, but I put a 2012 center console in my 2008 so that I could have their Bumpshift. You won't miss your manual! Well, maybe you'll want to put a dummy pedal for the left foot's pleasure.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
RichL35, you've probably already thought about this, but I put a 2012 center console in my 2008 so that I could have their Bumpshift. You won't miss your manual! Well, maybe you'll want to put a dummy pedal for the left foot's pleasure.

You know, I never even considered a newer console. I ended up buying a matching console out of a 2009 Wrangler. Where were you two weeks ago? Hahaha

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So a really quick (and boring) update on the progress to the entire project.

EVO hasn't finished the sport cage for the 2007 - 2010 (2011?) JK but expect to soon so... my order stays in and I wait. They thought they would be shipped mid to late October.

Parts for front axle are in and I have tracking info for the housing.

And the big one... LS swap. Nothing big here. I bought the auto brake pedal assembly and all the parts necessary for the manual to auto console swap came in. I will be contacting Robbie at MoTech this week to get the rest of the stuff coming.

The weather has been 70s and 80s So none of this will truly start until the weather turns.

Till next time...

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I'm following a similar LS build thread on another forum. Interested to hear what you are going to do in regards to T-case? Replace stock with something else or adapter kit?

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I'm following a similar LS build thread on another forum. Interested to hear what you are going to do in regards to T-case? Replace stock with something else or adapter kit?
My current plan is to go back to the stock 241J for a couple reasons.

1. The money isn't in the budget for an Atlas currently.
2. Robbie told me that 1st gear in the 6L80E with the stock 241J is extremely similar to the 6 speed manual I currently have with the 241 OR case. Following up on that I have read some info from both Novak and Advanced that recommend the same for the same reason.
3. The Rubi 241 OR transfer case is actually weaker than the 241J. Not substantially... Nor did they say all the Rubi cases were going to blow up so no one needs to get huffy over that statement but it is what I was told.

So for now Motech is supplying an adapter and TC input shaft to go back to my 241J and I will be selling off the Rubi case to help fund the swap.

It is all about $$$ in the end. I would love a twin stick Atlas and maybe someday I will have one but for now I am trying to do this and maintain/accomplish 3 goals..

1. My relationship with my wife. Hahaha.. She is an ANGEL!
2. Increase my Jeeps driveability. The 3.8L just makes it frustrating at highway speeds and long hauls.
3. Dependability. It hasn't been a bad vehicle but I don't want to make it one either.

So now that I gave you WAY more information that you originally asked for I am going to wrap up this post and if you want to PM me a link or some direction to the other persons forum thread I would love to take a look and see what he is doing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I like where you're going with this I want an LS in my JK. I have a CJ7 and a 1970 C10 with LS engines, looks like its significantly harder and expensive to put them in a JK.

21 - 40 of 305 Posts