Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only one side is doing this. Any suggestions to spray/paint on the screw and nut to stop it? I was also thinking about trying to put some sort of caulk line around the pad to stop it from leaking rust every time it gets wet.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Using caulking to block the rust in isn't a good idea... All steel nerf bars, tubes, steps, whatever... rust. They all chip. There is no way to prevent your underbody that is exposed to rocks from this...

If you are unhappy with the cosmetics, there are various products that reduce rust (under sprays) that are mostly oil-based. There are rust-eating sprays. There are paints that also eat rust. But anything underneath is going to get beat up. If you wanted something that might last longer, you could get a really thick coat of Line-X... but they anything under it (nuts and such) would be stuck for good... and it's hard to use Line-X as an underbody spray... most people use it on frame-off rebuilds...

Anyway... you can even use something simple like CLR to wipe the rust away for a few days... but Jeeps (and everything else) rust...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Black Rustoleum twice a year. My bumpers and rock rails get the same treatment as the axles and suspension and frame.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Black Rustoleum twice a year. My bumpers and rock rails get the same treatment as the axles and suspension and frame.
I spray Rustoleum bedliner on mine. Tough and anti-skid.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have any of you ever taken off the nerf bars before? Does that traction pad come off? Something underneath that is rusting like crazy. I can't stop the flow of rust water everyday. Even after I sprayed rustoleum all around 3 times. I need to take it off and get to the root of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts