Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really dont like the idea of drilling holes for the Bestop tire carrier.One is the obvious reasons,another is its just permanent.If it turns out to be not such a great carrier Im stuck with the holes.I just like the idea that I dont have to deal with opening a carrrier, only to open the tailgate.

·
I'm not lost
1,974 Posts
I have a bumper mounted carrier, my husband has the best top tailgate, tub mounted... Go with one not mounted to the body, it is not that difficult to swing it open then the gate.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a bumper mounted carrier, my husband has the best top tailgate, tub mounted... Go with one not mounted to the body, it is not that difficult to swing it open then the gate.
I guess its not that big a deal.If I go the bumper route i just want a heavy duty bumper and a carrier that wont sag.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Measure 2 twice, drill once. I had the bestop on a past jeep, the drilling was not bad, and it was a decent carrier.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Measure 2 twice, drill once. I had the bestop on a past jeep, the drilling was not bad, and it was a decent carrier.
Was it well built.I read mostly good about it but a few people who didnt like it.Im soo confused.It took me about 15 hrs to figure out what front bumper I wanted.Here we go again.

·
I'm not lost
1,974 Posts
I guess its not that big a deal.If I go the bumper route i just want a heavy duty bumper and a carrier that wont sag.
My husband has a 33 in tire, a cargo rack and 2 Jerry cans on his and his tailgate is tweaked from the extra weight. The tub is buckling. Our shop reinforced the tub but the door is still tweaked. My bumper is stout enough I would not be concerned about placing that extra weight on my carrier. So I guess it would all depend on what all you want to carry on your carrier. But I know personally I will never go with the tailgate mounted type.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My husband has a 33 in tire, a cargo rack and 2 Jerry cans on his and his tailgate is tweaked from the extra weight. The tub is buckling. Our shop reinforced the tub but the door is still tweaked. My bumper is stout enough I would not be concerned about placing that extra weight on my carrier. So I guess it would all depend on what all you want to carry on your carrier. But I know personally I will never go with the tailgate mounted type.
The bestop mounts to the tub.I guess it also gets supported by the tailgate....I think??

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What one do you have? How is it? Thanks.There are soo many choices.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have the Bestop carrier. I've had it for a little over a year or so I guess, but it's coming off for good this weekend.

While it has worked alright and done it's job (holding the wheel without tweaking the tailgate), lately it has been creaking and rattling over every little bump. When I close the tailgate, the whole wheel (with a 33" tire) wobbles. It just doesn't seem secure anymore, despite various attempts at tightening and adjusting.

I'm not too worried about the holes I drilled, as I'd like to get one of Rokmen's new fold-down tailgates at some point anyways.

Sad to say because overall I like Bestop, but in this case I wish I had just done it right the first time with a bumper that has a swing-away tire carrier.

Just my $.02.

·
I'm not lost
1,974 Posts
I have a smittybiult XRC bumper system. I have had it for about a year and so far it has done it's job and show no signs of not doing it's job. I know a lot of people say smittybilt is junk. But I have never had any issues with their stuff.

XRC Rear Bumper Systems - Smittybilt

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am pretty certain I will get a lod.Not bad pricing for one made in the good ole USA

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
I have a Bestop tub mounted. So far, so good after almost a year of service with mainly off road miles on the Jeep and a 35" tire hanging on it.
I do have concerns about the lower backing plate only supported by the thin tub. But, plans are for some corner armor this spring. That should beef up the mounting points pretty good.

Years ago, I bought a CB antenna mount for behind the tail light. I was terrified that I had to drill a hole in my Jeep for the grounding bolt.

After that first hole, it was all over. I've been drilling holes, hacking off fenders, and even chopped into my frame to outboard the rear shocks.

Don't be nervous, you just need to take that first step!:thumb::thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts