Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These threads out there talking about a rattling noise in the manual tranny on the 2012 JK's between 1800 and 2000 rpm upon acceleration explain exactly what I am experiencing. However, after multiple excuses from two different dealers, I get the following explanation from them both:

“There is a normal neutral rattle like noise that is called "neutral rollover" noise, it is caused by the engine firing pulses as the crank speeds up and slows down knocking the input gear back and fourth. The condition is industry wide and all manual transmissions are susceptible to the noise. Some are worse than others due to manufacturing tolerance variations.”

Is this BS or do I have to live with god-awful, marble in a can, broken catalytic converter like sound? How can it be normal? :banghead:

·
Registered
196 Posts
BS.

"Neutral rollover"
is similar to gear rattle and occurs with the engine idling, transmission in NEUTRAL, and the clutch engaged (clutch pedal released). The rollover noise intensity increases with transmission operating temperature and engine torque load resulting from air conditioning and generator. Neutral rollover noise is not detrimental to the engine or transmission. In vehicles where the engine idle speed is below specification or rough, a harsh clattering noise like loose marbles in the transmission may be heard.
So if the dealer tells you that the noise is due to "neutral rollover" while you are accelerating at 1800-2000 rpm, he's BS-ing you.

That said, you are probably experiencing gear rattle which is what the dealer described. It is noticeable in some cars with manual transmission, but you should barely hear it. If it sounds line a "marble in a can", it's neither normal nor acceptable.

You can find more info about gear rattle and neutral rollover here:
http://www.rsgear.com/articles/2008_08.pdf
No modern car should display loud gear rattle unless it is the ultimate POS.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, at this point, both dealers are telling me what they have been told by Chrysler engineering. I'm going to run into this at any dealership service dept now.

So, Magnuson-Moss time?:surrender:

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
my rattles in neutral all the time like marbles in a can and is even more audible when i give it a rev. it sounds like a loose exhaust shield. pretty embarrassing.

so, i took it in and mentioned it today. of course it was quiet as a mouse when i was demonstrating it. unbelievable.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the thing, mine doesn't do it in neutral. Only in second and fourth at 1800 rpm while accelerating. As it gets hotter, the noise gets louder. When I am passing someone, they look over like "what the hell is wrong with your Jeep?" And I am now supposed to say, "Oh, it's normal." BS!!!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Dude, that sucks. You're just going to have to give them a bunch of hell until someone steps up and takes care of you. Start documenting all the trips, conversations, people's names, etc. Quantify your time as you are trying to correct the issue as well. You should definitely not have to deal with that. I would only accept it as normal if they could take me on the lot and show me at least 2 other Jeeps that do the same thing from their inventory. I'm sure they won't be able to even show you one.

Edit: Also make sure they know you're not going to just sit back and take the BS. Let them see you writing this stuff down. They will get uncomfortable quickly if they're BSing you and you ask for their name and write it down with their statement.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They claim they have one on the lot that does it. They stated that some will do it and some won't because of different manufacturing "tolerances". I am going to look at the supposed "match" tomorrow. My assumption is that it will be some other rattle or something different or they will intentionally loosen a heat shield on it to try and mimic mine.

I am also having a friend of mine who is a Ford tech ride with me on Saturday. I am tempted to find a dyno platform and look for the noise that way.

I have already contacted Chrysler Customer care when I was messing with the first dealer, but they really haven't done anything for me but irritate the service department.:hide:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Neutral rattle happens while in NEUTRAL, correct? Also, gear rollover happens while going slow, correct? My rattle is at 45mph! That's what is confusing me.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Experienced this with 1K miles on my Jeep. Took the dealer shop foreman for a ride so he could hear it. Long story short, my trans got pulled and the countershaft assembly got replaced because synchronizers were loose. Problem solved.

Not normal.

See post #44 in this thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/2012-wranglet-sport-problems-132940-2.html
Holy shit, Batman! This is it!
did you get the rattle while accelerating at like 1800 rpm? What dealer fixed it? My dealer needs to call them.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
I got the rattle between 1500 and 2000 rpm. Fixed at Perkins Motors, Colorado Springs, CO.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It appears that the dealer and I are talking about two different noises. I have gone over this with both locations five times now and am about to go do it for a sixth time.

The noise they were talking about as neutral rollover happens while stopped and in neutral. If you crack the gas pedal, there is a deep washboard rattle and I know for a fact that it is my gas tank skid plate being rubbed by something above it. :banghead:

I sent Silver Sport's post to them and they are going to look into it. Keeping my fingers crossed.:nonono:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update:

Just spoke with a service adviser and the shop foreman again drove the Jeep around for a while and cannot replicate the noise at 1800 - 2000 rpm. I am scheduled to go in and show him what I am talking about. This will be the fifth time, fourth person at two dealerships to ride with me. The previous three have all heard it, but for some reason nothing ever gets done about it. Hopefully this time, the foreman will actually act on what he hears instead of telling me I have to reschedule to come back in because it is too late in the day to continue working on it.

This is getting really frustrating and I am getting close to exploding on someone.....:firedevil:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts