Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I set off to get buy a new jeep. I looked at after market parts for months before deciding how I want it to look and perform. I bought a 2014 Dune colored Rubicon. I was concerned with the power so I added a Magnuson supercharger, AFE Cold Air intake, and split Magnaflow exhaust.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was thinking I would need to cool the engine compartment a little so I got the anniversary hood to cool things down. Added bonus is that is looks more animal with the air vents.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Upgrading the ride

I see many Jeeps with after market rims. There are so many good ones to choose from. So I could not decide and wanted to save a buck. I went with the 35' BF Goodrich tires. I did read somewhere that the rims were designed to move the sand and dirt away from the valve stem; not sure that's true but sounds good. I do like the look of them anyways. I also went with the AEV 2.5 suspension kit; for this is my daily driver.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The face

There are lots of great front and rear bumpers. I chose the AEV front and rear bumpers. There are a bunch of reasons: I like how the Warn winch fits in the bumper and how there are mounts for lights that I want to get. I also added the Rugged Ridge grill and light inserts to give it a more finished look. As for the rear I wanted the onboard water and the tire carrier.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rear

I really like the AEV rear bumper. Taking the weight off of the rear door is very important if you have larger tires. Behind the tire there is a mount for my shovel and a post for future stuff I want. It holds about 5 gallons of water inside the bumper. There is a hand pump to get the water out.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Enhancements

As much as I like the AEV rear bumper I had a little trouble with the hand pump. It works fine I just wanted to spray my feet and equipment down after bodysurfing, paddle boarding stuff like that. So I added an electric pump. It works super great!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
613 Posts
I was thinking I would need to cool the engine compartment a little so I got the anniversary hood to cool things down. Added bonus is that is looks more animal with the air vents.
Looks great, nice job so far. As great as the hood looks, it is not really a functional vent hood. There is 1 tiny hole (less than 1/2 inch in diameter) and that is to drain water from the top Side of the vent. If you want to make it actually vent and cool your hood, you can drill/knock out the closed up vents and open them. There is a post here in the forum of someone doing that.

Love what you've done so far.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you very much. I really didn't think that the hood vents did much. I really just like the way it looks. I have been looking at other hoods and see lots of cool stuff. I am looking at these Daystar hood cowlings that have a ribbed look and can see that there are large holes for the install. I'm sure heat is a non issue just want a more aggressive look.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Blocking the sun

It can get hot here in Southern Cali and one of the 100's of reasons I wanted the JK was to take the top off. Bikini tops are hard to research without seeing them in person. I went with the Bestop, I like the way the channel bar works. It has 2 hand screws that go right where the hard top levers hook on. I like the way it folds over itself with the snaps. As you can see in the picture that the corners seem just a tad to long so the front corners are a little off to me. As for the second picture I am trying to show how the side seems like it should fasten to something. There is even a small loop strap but cannot figure out what to hook it to. Also there seems to be folding creases by the loop strap sown into the top not sure what for. The back fits really good and as a whole there is very little flapping around. In the mornings if I don't put the cover on the fabric lets little water drops form on the ceiling. I think that would be typical especially where I live (lots of moisture in the air).

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Out in the Rain

It looks like it could rain tonight so I will use this Bestop semi cover I got a few months ago. It really is a great fit, perfect! I did change out some of the clamp tie downs for 4 Velcro straps. Its hard to tell what is front or back so I will be putting tags to show me. It came with a cool bag but it is to small for me to easily fit it back in the bag. But I like it a lot; better than a full cover. The cover takes up less space, looks great, very well crafted. It has features that are really cool. Rubber inserts that tuck under the railing in the back. Super good.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Front Grill

I have been saving up to get more parts, lights, roof rack, seat cover, half tube doors the list seems endless. Anyways I thought I would keep modifying, so I had been looking at other jeeps and some have the front blacked out. The look has grown on me and decided I would go for the same look. I think it looks way better.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have been looking at light guards for a pretty long time. I decided to go with the Rugged Ridge brand. I like the way the bars are close to the tail light for a snug fit. I wasn't really looking for the headlight guards but after looking further into it there was a kit that had the guards for all of the lights. I like my jeep more and more...

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
As much as I like the AEV rear bumper I had a little trouble with the hand pump. It works fine I just wanted to spray my feet and equipment down after bodysurfing, paddle boarding stuff like that. So I added an electric pump. It works super great!!!
Great idea with the pump. What electric pump is that. Also how did you mount it to the jeep and how did you run the pipes.
Thanks

·
Registered
649 Posts
Awesome jeep! And wow what a first mod. Started off with a bang! Your jeeps looking great, and moving along quickly. Very jealous :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
More Detail - Fountain

777 -
I went with the SHURflo 55 psi auto shutoff, this is a very durable product. I think it was about $60. 55 psi makes for a good spray more than I need because if its much bigger it would drain the tank to fast. It works great for washing sand off my feet and equipment! You need the auto shutoff version so when it reaches 55 psi it shuts off, when you turn on the hose it sprays and the pump turns on, this keeps up pretty much until the tank (5 gallons or so) is empty. To mount it I drilled 4 holes to match up with the mounts on the pump. It came with big rubber washers to dampen the vibration. I ran the wires under all of the carpet used lots of electrical tape and zip ties to make it pretty. I have it going to an Spod. As for the water lines I ran them up over the heat shield. I drilled holes and ran some zip ties to keep the lines in place. The return line goes to a quick connect that I got at Home Depot. I also picked up the coil hose and the nozzle there. I stopped on the way home at Hitch Crafters and they welded a mount on the back. I could not be happier. Hope this works for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Great build!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To Soon

I hope its not to soon for another post. I was showing off my light guards and have to admit these little side ones on the fender "turn signal" were a pain in the butt. I didn't show in the previous post because I was incapable of putting them on so didn't mention it. But I waited and thought and went for it a 2nd try and wammo got these little suckers on. If you really didn't think that these are anything but to look cool I'd say you are right. They came in a bundle and was just going to give up on them and probably throw them away. I am stoked that I didn't have to do that. I wanted to take a picture of the light lighted but realized they are not connected to the turn signal in the front. I see a few you tube videos on this. So I guess tomorrows project?

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Details...

I went bush wacking some weeks back and my antenna got hung up on some bushes a few times. Nothing really happened I just saw it as an opportunity to do another mod. I had set my sights on rubberized stubby antenna. After looking at what others had done I really liked the look of the smaller black whip like anenna. Then my sights saw this bad boy. 50 caliber bullet. Its made by VMS and is very solid. Radio station reception seems unchanged. I listen to XM for the most part. super easy install. Very happy

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts