Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They were nice enough guys, but charged 301 dollars for two new rotors and pads on the front. If that wasn't bad enough, my tj won't hold the road, it is 9 kinds of out of alignment, and my right caliper is stuck, and I can't accelerate and when I brake it pulls hard left. In summation, the 'Midas Touch' sucks horribly. Just a heads up.

·
Registered
858 Posts
sorry to hear that your midas had n00bs working on your jeep. that's kind of a harsh generalization though, i've taken my previous car (honda civic) to midas to get major brake work done and they did a great job.

·
Registered
80 Posts
took my wifes car to midas.they did a great job! a $200 brake job for only $500!!! and they lasted almost a year!!!!:flipoff:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Why would you have someone else do your front brakes ?
5 lug nuts, two caliper bolts, pull off old rotor, stick on new rotor, remove old pads, put silencer goo on new pads, stick new pads into calipers, put calipers back on, screw in two bolts, put the tires back on, done.
Pads ~$25, Rotors ~$28 ea...goo usually comes with the new pads otherwise maybe $1....

Now the back ones, maybe, I hate doing drums...in which case I just wait till sears has a sale.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I agree fronts brakes are easy. You don't even need to bleed them unless you take or loosen the line off the caliper, which you shouldn't have to. Just make sure to pump them up afterwards. If you change the caliper out you will have to bleed them which you just need a buddy to help. The back ones are a little tricky if they are drums but with the right tools and a little mechanical skill someone can teach you in 10 minutes or just take it to a local garage for the back.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: went back around 12 noon yesterday. He told me he would get me right in. 3 hours later I'm at hooters with a friend getting some lunch and i get a call....he had an ESTIMATE....it was gonna be 90 bucks to replace the caliper that they munked up! I got kinda pissy with them and they fixed it for free....what a frickin hassle....guess where i'll never go again

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, and the reason I don't mess w/ brakes is because I have no experience w/ them and would rather it was someone else's fault if I rearended someone right after the job.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My Midas story is a few years old. I had a Toyota at the tire, took it to Midas to get their 'free' brake check. The mechanic came into the waiting area and told me that they had 'busted' off the bolts/lug nuts, but they had to go to Carquest and get new ones. Anyway to shorten the story, they had to go to the Toyota dealer 20 miles away and get the correct ones. During this 'ordeal' they said that I could use new brake pads, and wanted to put them on since I had to wait anyways. I said I was going to wait, just fix my vehicle and I got the h### out of there. Never went to Midas. But I agree that you have to specify a particular Midas.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That is almost as bad as the Walmart here that in Hanford that has forgotten to tighten the oil drain plug after an oil change.
I know three people that have gotten new engines from them for that.

Navy-Jeepster

1 - 11 of 11 Posts