Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read the 07 is 3rd only to 08 and 12 on the list of model years to avoid..... which may be why this one is at 15k while every other wrangler in the area is closet to 20.

The price is slightly below KBB by like a few hundred, so thats fine. Color isn't my choice but buying used it is what it is.

2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Sport 4D.
163k miles
Green (id call it army green)
He just had a full front end alignment done, says it runs and drives great. He bought a big truck and doesn't need this too.
exterior paint looks super clean and nice
interior looks clean and well kept.
tread looks a bit used up on the black rims but does come with the original rims and much newer tires.

As a newbie what should I be looking at when I go see it, I will have my mechanic look it over before purchase.

Or should I do as the internet says and avoid it at all costs>!>!?!?!?!

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car
Automotive parking light Car Tire Land vehicle Wheel
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have an 08 Rubicon, forget what the internet says about “good years” and “bad years”. For every year you’ll find just as many supporters as haters, depending on where you look. Look at service history, maybe get an inspection since it’s got quite a few miles on the clock, then decide if it’s mechanically sound.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The guy wouldn't give me the VIN and now suddenly it is his Brothers he is helping sell it. FIgures. I did find a 2011 at few hours from here that is an unlimited rubicon sport. For 13k. 167k miles They will give me all the info I request. Only thing is I can't go test drive it.... so thats a small risk. but I know I like how the jeeps drive. I can go test drive a 2011 here. through a dealership I will also be able to buy an extended warranty maybe so thats a positive.... but is it worth it. I am paying cash so honestly is there anything I should worry about. I am reading these jeeps can last in to the 300k miles well taken care of.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Front drivers side quarter panel just above the fender flare looks pushed in and damaged.

Reactions: Keon

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I
Welcome to the forum. Run the VIN here and see what it was born as.

https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=
I tried your site there. 1J8GA691X8L503399 is the VIN for the 2011 I am looking at and it says no sticker found... AHHH i did some research, its a 2008 the ford dealership labeled the add wrong. ANd thus the price is coming down a bit. thanks for your help I will be on this forum a ton I think. and now I know how to read the VIN I know it is a rubicon, it isn't effected by any recalls and more.

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
I tried that vin on several sites. Shows 2008 Rubicon or sticker not available for that vin. Not sure what’s up.

Reactions: skoshidragon

·
Registered
530 Posts
Have you actually test driven a 3.8 liter JK? The 3.8 is slow and only works well when geared appropriately for the tire size. I have a 2009 JK, 2 door, manual transmission, 5.13 and 37s and it is barely acceptable. We had a 2009 4 door same configuration and it was much slower. I can't even imagine what a 3.8 automatic feels like! I like the simplicity of the 3.8 but they are slow! Test drive one before you buy!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Have you actually test driven a 3.8 liter JK? The 3.8 is slow and only works well when geared appropriately for the tire size. I have a 2009 JK, 2 door, manual transmission, 5.13 and 37s and it is barely acceptable. We had a 2009 4 door same configuration and it was much slower. I can't even imagine what a 3.8 automatic feels like! I like the simplicity of the 3.8 but they are slow! Test drive one before you buy!
Yes, this. I only have 33's and the stock 4.10 and I have to keep the pedal half depressed at freeway speeds. As soon as I let off it feels like I'm braking. Any change in tire sizes require are going to require a regear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Personally I would never buy a modified Jeep. There are plenty of dealer maintained, unmodified, never off roaded, soccer mom Jeeps out there.
i sorta wondered about this, the 08 I am now looking at is full vehicle history maintained at the dealership my the lady who owned it Rubicon, full records available 13k. only issue its 3 hours drive so I would pretty much be buying site unseen but also 1200$ for a 3 year warranty on it since dealership sooo thats a plus

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, this. I only have 33's and the stock 4.10 and I have to keep the pedal half depressed at freeway speeds. As soon as I let off it feels like I'm braking. Any change in tire sizes require are going to require a regear.
I am now looking at an 08 but no modifications. and I likely wouldn't add bigger tires and rims etc for a long time. But it is good to know that gearing and such is a thing. ALso I don't drive freeways much this is really gonna be a around town in the snow jeep. When we go on road trips we take my wifes car.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Awesome. Finding one with no mods is like a diamond in the rough. When I was looking I was also hoping to find something with the pentastar 3.6, but those are 2012+ and are much more expensive, especially in Rubicon trim. Like you, this is not my daily driver and is more of a fun/project jeep so I don't mind the lack of power on the 3.8. People hate on the 3.8 since it came from the dodge caravan/chrysler town and country, but its bulletproof and will last a long long time with regular maintenance. For me it's perfectly sufficient for the type of use I do. If you have any questions about the 08 models please let me know. Happy to give you my opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I tried that vin on several sites. Shows 2008 Rubicon or sticker not available for that vin. Not sure what’s up.
Its a 2008, the dealership had the add on faceboom as an 11, they corrected it when I pointed it out.

So I can get it, 13200$ plus 3600 for a 4 year 36k mile warranty on it. Never modded Rubicon 08. No recalls effect it clean car fax, clean auto check (whatever the dealer used) and thejeep was always serviced at the dealership by the lady who owened it. Even though it is the less desirable 3.8L engine I think it may be a safe buy. Shoot in 3 years if the warranty didn't get me a new engine and then it fails utterly I could LS swap it lol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Awesome. Finding one with no mods is like a diamond in the rough. When I was looking I was also hoping to find something with the pentastar 3.6, but those are 2012+ and are much more expensive, especially in Rubicon trim. Like you, this is not my daily driver and is more of a fun/project jeep so I don't mind the lack of power on the 3.8. People hate on the 3.8 since it came from the dodge caravan/chrysler town and country, but its bulletproof and will last a long long time with regular maintenance. For me it's perfectly sufficient for the type of use I do. If you have any questions about the 08 models please let me know. Happy to give you my opinion.
Its a 2008, the dealership had the add on faceboom as an 11, they corrected it when I pointed it out.

So I can get it, 13200$ plus 3600 for a 4 year 36k mile warranty on it. Never modded Rubicon 08. No recalls effect it clean car fax, clean auto check (whatever the dealer used) and thejeep was always serviced at the dealership by the lady who owened it. Even though it is the less desirable 3.8L engine I think it may be a safe buy. Shoot in 3 years if the warranty didn't get me a new engine and then it fails utterly I could LS swap it lol.

does that seem likefair price? essentally 15600.00 2008 with 167k miles but will have a warranty up to 200k miles?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts