Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...but I’m glad fall is around the corner.

This summer was brutal. We got no rain for 3 or 4 months here in the PNW. We had two tough heat waves; the wildfires kept everyone on edge, and the smoke made the air unbreathable

It started to rain again. We’ve had 2 rainy days in the past week, and the 10-day forecast calls for a combination of sunny and rainy days.

I spent yesterday afternoon doing yard work. I had neglected it. Everything looks brown; a few plants have died from the heat and the drought, but a few others have done well and grown fast. Green shoots are starting to reappear. Things seem to be getting back to normal.

I engaged the Selec-Trac over the weekend. The Jeep drives and feels so much better with it engaged. Soon enough snow will be back! (y)

Life is good.

Share if you look forward to the end of summer, or to Jeeping in winter.

·
Registered
‘21 JLUR, AEV 2.5 DualSport, 35x12.5x20 BFGoodrich M/T KM3, 20x10(-19mm) Wheels
199 Posts
...but I’m glad fall is around the corner.

This summer was brutal. We got no rain for 3 or 4 months here in the PNW. We had two tough heat waves; the wildfires kept everyone on edge, and the smoke made the air unbreathable

It started to rain again. We’ve had 2 rainy days in the past week, and the 10-day forecast calls for a combination of sunny and rainy days.

I spent yesterday afternoon doing yard work. I had neglected it. Everything looks brown; a few plants have died from the heat and the drought, but a few others have done well and grown fast. Green shoots are starting to reappear. Things seem to be getting back to normal.

I engaged the Selec-Trac over the weekend. The Jeep drives and feels so much better with it engaged. Soon enough snow will be back! (y)

Life is good.

Share if you look forward to the end of summer, or to Jeeping in winter.
We went through a drought here in Duluth, MN as well. There’s a wildfire just north of us in MN (first time I’ve ever known there to be a fire in MN in my life) that wreaked havoc on air quality here in Duluth. They say the fire will last until snow fall, so yeah…I definitely can’t wait for winter! I think I’ll park my new, rust free Jeep for the winter. 😢

·
Registered
8,419 Posts
We got more rain in Southern Arizona this summer than usual and everything is really green. Really needed it, the last couple of years were bad. Fall is the beginning of my wheeling and camping season kicking off with a 7 day camping trip at the beginning of November.

Reactions: aldo90731

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Love summer, but CO has been way to dry and the fires the last couple of years have been awful! We are outdoors people and so many views have been obscured by smoke it's just nuts. Hoping for a very wet winter and a giant snowpack to help with next spring and summer.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I guess I can't complain about the weather in my area, Midwestern, OH, no fires or drought, however we did have a couple of tornadoes... Sure we had several hot days 90+, but in our area the humidity is bad... We had rain, just at times not enough and the lawns were all brown, then they get the rust on them.. I live in a valley, the area is called the Miami Valley.. Area is also known as sinus valley or allergy valley. Pollen level usually is high,

Last couple of weeks the humidity has been low, mid 70's in the day time, this week in 80's, but still low humidity.

I'm not looking forward to winter, winter = SUCKS... Hate it, hate shoveling it, plowing it, blowing it... I hate driving in it ONLY because of those *sshats on the road who can't remember from one year to the next how to drive in the snow.

·
Registered
596 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Nice. I used to board and ski Baker. Great powder usually. Much better than Hood.
Troy

·
Super Moderator
11,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I lived here in the PNW during 1990s; then moved to California where I lived for 20 years. I returned to the PNW four years ago.

This area never used to get into 100s. This year we had two whole weeks above 100 degrees. Last year we had 10 days above 100. The year before temps hit 100 for one week.

Fifty to sixty-percent of homes west of the Cascades don’t even have AC; it was never needed. But it is getting to the point that I might have to look into installing AC to get me through summer in the PNW. Which is ridiculous.

Wildfires used to burn east of the Cascades. For the past four years, we’ve had wildfires on both sides of the Cascades. Now the entire state is a fire risk area.

This was the driest summer on record. I hear things in southern Oregon are even worse.

It is raining right now. I’m not gonna complain.

·
Super Moderator
11,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice. I used to board and ski Baker. Great powder usually. Much better than Hood.
Troy
Yes, the entire Mount Baker wilderness area is absolutely beautiful. I’m very lucky.

·
Los Angeles
1993 Wrangler YJ 4.0
2,126 Posts
I live nearish to Los Angeles and it is about 1 hour to the beach and on awesome days 1 hour the other way to snow.

I am getting things together to lift my jeep here soon, I am very excited for winter, lol.

Sky Plant Snow Cloud Slope

·
Registered
8,419 Posts
Fifty to sixty-percent of homes west of the Cascades don’t even have AC; it was never needed. But it is getting to the point that I might have to look into installing AC to get me through summer in the PNW. Which is ridiculous.
I replaced my two 3 ton units two years ago and it was $20K. But of course I have all the duct work already. These things only last about 10-15 years. Then they phase out the refrigerant every so often driving the price up. I have a separate house fund account that I contribute a fixed amount every month. Next will be a new roof in a couple years.

·
Super Moderator
11,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I replaced my two 3 ton units two years ago and it was $20K. But of course I have all the duct work already. These things only last about 10-15 years. Then they phase out the refrigerant every so often driving the price up. I have a separate house fund account that I contribute a fixed amount every month. Next will be a new roof in a couple years.
Yeah. My natural gas bill goes from $200/month in winter to $15/month in summer.

I’d prefer to leave it like that if I could, instead of paying hundreds of dollars year round.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yeah. My natural gas bill goes from $200/month in winter to $15/month in summer.

I’d prefer to leave it like that if I could, instead of paying hundreds of dollars year round.
I'm on level billing for my natural gas for home heating.. $57/month. That's for a 4 bedroom, 2 bath home about 2,000 sqft.

·
Super Moderator
11,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm on level billing for my natural gas for home heating.. $57/month. That's for a 4 bedroom, 2 bath home about 2,000 sqft.
That’s roughly what I’m paying on average year round for a 3-bed 1,500 sq ft home.

I believe your Ohio winters are colder than ours. Temps here normally hover around 40-45 degrees during the day; 30-35 at night.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
On the flip side of the coin, the eastern U.S. has been seeing abnormally wet and cool summers and abnormally cold and snowy winters for years now. Nature always keeps a balance.

This summer, there has been pretty terrible flash flooding. The most glaring example is Waverly, TN which saw 17 inches of rain in a 24 hour period last month, setting the new state record and devastating their town. Here in KY, this summer has been the first in memory where I didn't need to run a sprinkler on my lawn at any point during the year.

Eventually the western U.S. will go cooler and wetter again, while we go back into hot drought. It's the way of the climate. Been studying it for 40 years and this is just the way of it all.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts