Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum but have been reading for over a year and appreciate all of the valuable information that I have gotten from it. Sorry for the long post, but I would love to have some input on my current situation.

I have wanted a Wrangler Unlimited for some time now and finally pulled the trigger a little over a week ago on a Natural Green Sahara. I felt like I got a great deal on it and was thrilled with the experience at the dealership. I actually followed the break in procedure, but around 500 miles, maybe a little less, I noticed a knocking sound in the engine at idle speeds. I called the dealer, and they said that a little "thumping" sound was normal, so I let it go at first. It got a little louder, and I really started noticing it in carpool and at red lights. I took it in and was told that it was the idle pulley that was bad and that it was causing the knocking sound. They didn't have one in stock, but I made an appointment for the following day (last Thursday) to have it replaced.

After a few hours at the dealership, they told me that the new idle pulley did not stop the sound, so they put a stethoscope on it and decided that it was the power steering pump. They didn't have that in stock, either, so I made an appointment for this morning and they gave me a rental car and promised to have it fixed by lunch. I didn't hear from them at lunch and didn't get a return call until 3:00 today, when they told me that the power steering pump didn't fix the problem, nor did a new water pump (and some other part that I can't remember). They ultimately determined that the problem was a spun bearing.

They claimed that they had spoken to several folks at Chrysler along with the district manager. The Chrysler folks said that they might be able to offer me a completely new engine assembly, and that they would check on it to be sure and follow up tomorrow morning. I told my dealer that I appreciated the help, but that I am not going to be happy unless I get a replacement Jeep. They seemed understanding and said that they would relay that to Chrysler, but also said that they may not even be able to get me a completely new engine at this point. I reiterated that I would not be happy unless I get a replacement Jeep because of the "stigma" and the fact that the resale value would likely be affected. I told them that I did not pay for a Jeep with an engine that was not installed at the factory. He promised to get back with me tomorrow.

My questions for the group are: (1) am I being unreasonable in wanting a replacement vehicle rather than a new engine; (2) has this happened to anyone else, and if so, did you get a replacement vehicle; and (3) if so, what hoops did you have to jump through to get it?

I understand that getting a new engine will fix the problem, and that the rest of the Jeep is fine, but I paid for a new Jeep, and feel like they (Chrysler and/or the dealership) should have to eat the depreciation/stigma of the old one. I only have 1,000 miles on it and have been at the dealer three times in a little over a week. I have never had this happen before and have very little knowledge of engines. I am a lawyer and have looked at the lemon laws in Alabama briefly, but I really don't want it to have to come to that at all. I have tried my best to be patient with them and have simply asked them to be my advocate with Chrysler at this point since they deal with them every day. I thought if I could get some pointers from someone else who has been through this, it might help me when I talk to them.

Sorry for the incredibly long first post - I appreciate anyone's input with similar experiences!

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
You are not being unreasonable wanting a new Jeep. I'm not sure what you mean about depreciation stigma. There would be nothing wrong with getting a completely new engine. I don't think I would accept a short block however with only 1K on it. Have patience and see what they offer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I may be wrong, but if I sold it and was asked to disclose any prior problems, I was thinking that the fact that I had a new engine put in would be something to disclose? Wouldnt it have a different serial number? (i am showing my car ignorance here). If so, I would think that would hurt the resale value.

Either way, I am going to be patient. I understand that this sort of thing happens and that getting upset or threatening them will get me nowhere at this point. It is just really frustrating.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,970 Posts
If you have a new engine put in that is truly new, it would just mean the the engine had 1000 less miles than shown. Some people may consider that as a negative. But anyone with a head on their shoulders will see it wasn't due to your misuse and was replaced by Chrysler. So will see no issue.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Personally I would not accept any kind of engine replacement, long or short block. You are not being unreasonable by demanding a brand new replacement Wrangler. Here's why...if a vehicle rolled off the assembly line and Chrysler discovered that the motor or trans was bad, they'd either rep. the vehicle out, never to be titled or destroy it.

I previously worked for VW at a Port of Entry and if a vehicle came off the ship and once inspected found to have a significant problem, i.e. engine, trans, electrical, the vehicle was repaired and then shipped to VWoA, then Auburn Hills, Michigan to be Rep'ed out, never titled...or worse case sent back to VWoA and crushed. It happens and it's a write-off for car companies. You wouldn't believe some of the things I saw while working at the Port. Like, VW shipping a team of Engineers and Workers from the factory in Germany to perform what they call an 'Action' or as we know as a 'Recall.' These guys came overnight from Germany and went through 400 Jetta's on a Labor Day weekend, 24 hours working in shifts to diagnose and repair, if necessary, a steering rack issue back when the 2006 MKV Jetta came out. This involved the X-Raying of every Jetta for a crack in the rack...for the Audi's they just replaced the parts, if they needed them or not.

They owe you a complete new Jeep.

Chrysler can afford it. They'll just write off yours.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
ChasmCrawler said:
Personally I would not accept any kind of engine replacement, long or short block. You are not being unreasonable by demanding a brand new replacement Wrangler. Here's why...if a vehicle rolled off the assembly line and Chrysler discovered that the motor or trans was bad, they'd either rep. the vehicle out, never to be titled or destroy it.

I previously worked for VW at a Port of Entry and if a vehicle came off the ship and once inspected found to have a significant problem, i.e. engine, trans, electrical, the vehicle was repaired and then shipped to VWoA, then Auburn Hills, Michigan to be Rep'ed out, never titled...or worse case sent back to VWoA and crushed. It happens and it's a write-off for car companies. You wouldn't believe some of the things I saw while working at the Port. Like, VW shipping a team of Engineers and Workers from the factory in Germany to perform what they call an 'Action' or as we know as a 'Recall.' These guys came overnight from Germany and went through 400 Jetta's on a Labor Day weekend, 24 hours working in shifts to diagnose and repair, if necessary, a steering rack issue back when the 2006 MKV Jetta came out. This involved the X-Raying of every Jetta for a crack in the rack...for the Audi's they just replaced the parts, if they needed them or not.

They owe you a complete new Jeep.

Chrysler can afford it. They'll just write off yours.
Of they could throw a new engine in it and
Use it for crash testing :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kjeeper10 said:
IMO a dealer engine replacement and the jeep is brand new would not bother me at all on resale.
Crappy situation but I agree with Tom-just see what happens.
I would be hesitant to have them take the engine apart and fix it though :nonono:
Fortunately, the first thing the service department mgr told me was that they were not going to take it apart and fix it, which was definitely a positive. My Dad just ordered a 2012 Rubicon from them on Friday based on my recommendation to him, so hopefully that will help a little, too.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Bhamjeep2011 said:
Fortunately, the first thing the service department mgr told me was that they were not going to take it apart and fix it, which was definitely a positive. My Dad just ordered a 2012 Rubicon from them on Friday based on my recommendation to him, so hopefully that will help a little, too.
I think you will be ok :)

Tell them you want a lot 2012 to scoot around in :thumb:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I recommend a new jeep. You purchased a new jeep; not a 1000 mile body and a new engine. Keep us informed on the outcome!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wanted to update everyone. I just got off the phone with the service manager at my dealership. He said that the Chrysler tech rep confirmed that they are still doing the complete engine replacement program in cases like this. However, since the 3.8 is not used in the 2012's, the tech rep is checking to see if there are even any 3.8's left to put in my vehicle. If not, he said that they will have a much better argument that Chrysler should buy mine back and let me pick out another. Regardless, he is going to ask them to do this for me.

The district manager is at the dealer tomorrow morning, so the service manager is hoping to get this resolved then. Although this has been terribly frustrating, everyone at the dealership has been very understanding and helpful. If they could get this resolved within two days of getting my "diagnosis," I would think that it was handled as quickly as it possibly could have been. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
They put a short block in ours. (it had a chirping noise that worsened as the engine heated up) So far so good! It now has about 1200 miles on the new engine and all is well. The jeep body has 7000 miles. I dumped the oil and filter when the new engine had 1000 miles to get rid of contaminants. Chrysler did add lifetime power train warranty to our jeep. We are going to drive it and when we get tired of it our four kids are getting it! Side note; our 2012 Cosmos JKUR is on a train headed for Spokane WA. ETA 9-22-11.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I am new to the forum but have been reading for over a year and appreciate all of the valuable information that I have gotten from it. Sorry for the long post, but I would love to have some input on my current situation.

I have wanted a Wrangler Unlimited for some time now and finally pulled the trigger a little over a week ago on a Natural Green Sahara. I felt like I got a great deal on it and was thrilled with the experience at the dealership. I actually followed the break in procedure, but around 500 miles, maybe a little less, I noticed a knocking sound in the engine at idle speeds. I called the dealer, and they said that a little "thumping" sound was normal, so I let it go at first. It got a little louder, and I really started noticing it in carpool and at red lights. I took it in and was told that it was the idle pulley that was bad and that it was causing the knocking sound. They didn't have one in stock, but I made an appointment for the following day (last Thursday) to have it replaced.

After a few hours at the dealership, they told me that the new idle pulley did not stop the sound, so they put a stethoscope on it and decided that it was the power steering pump. They didn't have that in stock, either, so I made an appointment for this morning and they gave me a rental car and promised to have it fixed by lunch. I didn't hear from them at lunch and didn't get a return call until 3:00 today, when they told me that the power steering pump didn't fix the problem, nor did a new water pump (and some other part that I can't remember). They ultimately determined that the problem was a spun bearing.

They claimed that they had spoken to several folks at Chrysler along with the district manager. The Chrysler folks said that they might be able to offer me a completely new engine assembly, and that they would check on it to be sure and follow up tomorrow morning. I told my dealer that I appreciated the help, but that I am not going to be happy unless I get a replacement Jeep. They seemed understanding and said that they would relay that to Chrysler, but also said that they may not even be able to get me a completely new engine at this point. I reiterated that I would not be happy unless I get a replacement Jeep because of the "stigma" and the fact that the resale value would likely be affected. I told them that I did not pay for a Jeep with an engine that was not installed at the factory. He promised to get back with me tomorrow.

My questions for the group are: (1) am I being unreasonable in wanting a replacement vehicle rather than a new engine; (2) has this happened to anyone else, and if so, did you get a replacement vehicle; and (3) if so, what hoops did you have to jump through to get it?

I understand that getting a new engine will fix the problem, and that the rest of the Jeep is fine, but I paid for a new Jeep, and feel like they (Chrysler and/or the dealership) should have to eat the depreciation/stigma of the old one. I only have 1,000 miles on it and have been at the dealer three times in a little over a week. I have never had this happen before and have very little knowledge of engines. I am a lawyer and have looked at the lemon laws in Alabama briefly, but I really don't want it to have to come to that at all. I have tried my best to be patient with them and have simply asked them to be my advocate with Chrysler at this point since they deal with them every day. I thought if I could get some pointers from someone else who has been through this, it might help me when I talk to them.

Sorry for the incredibly long first post - I appreciate anyone's input with similar experiences!
Lemon Law may apply here since 3 attempts to fix the same problem. Mention it to them and see if that helps Chrysler see their way to find you a suitable 2011 replacement.
I would upgrade to the 2012 if possible since the price should be nearly identical.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same thing happened to my with my jeep but it reached 60k miles. From what I understand it's shotty workmanship and inferior parts. Please file a complaint with the NHTSA so they can force a recall. For those of us outside or our warranty it's costing upwards of $4000 to get a rebuilt engine installed.......on top of my $35000 I paid for my JK with all the extras and upgrades. It's disappointing!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts