Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - long time reader, first time poster here.

Been looking for a 2014 Sport for about 8 weeks now - should have ordered and had a quite a few dealer locates fall thru at the last minute (even bought tires, wheels and running boards!).

Well, last night in a monsoon I visited a local dealer lot and spotted what I was looking for (flame red sport, auto, A/C - don't bust on the auto please - better half has MS and I want her to enjoy it too!).

Wasn't till after I placed a refundable deposit that I realized it was a 2013! I will admit the dealer went out of his way not to state is was a year old.

The price is pretty good though I think he could have been a little more aggressive - he is just below invoice.

Just looking on opinions (both on the 2013 and price). I was concerned that my tires (265-75R16) and wheels (16" with 4.88" backspace) will fit on a 2013. Based on my research it should be just fine but need some hand holding here.

Been kind of wordy here, but wondering in the end if there is a strong reason to avoid the 2013 in hopes of finding a 2014 or ordering a 2015?

Thanks - I value any opinions you desire to shoot my way.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
If it's a '13 still brand new on the lot, I'd say go for it IF it is significantly lower than the same jeep in a '14. It's one FULL model year old, almost two. Makes me wonder why it's still sitting on the lot brand new after all this time....

·
Registered
596 Posts
New seats for 2014, I believe. So you know, I got $1500 under invoice on a 2014 Sport going through Truecar.com. That's almost 5%.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Hi - long time reader, first time poster here. Been looking for a 2014 Sport for about 8 weeks now - should have ordered and had a quite a few dealer locates fall thru at the last minute (even bought tires, wheels and running boards!). Well, last night in a monsoon I visited a local dealer lot and spotted what I was looking for (flame red sport, auto, A/C - don't bust on the auto please - better half has MS and I want her to enjoy it too!). Wasn't till after I placed a refundable deposit that I realized it was a 2013! I will admit the dealer went out of his way not to state is was a year old. The price is pretty good though I think he could have been a little more aggressive - he is just below invoice. Just looking on opinions (both on the 2013 and price). I was concerned that my tires (265-75R16) and wheels (16" with 4.88" backspace) will fit on a 2013. Based on my research it should be just fine but need some hand holding here. Been kind of wordy here, but wondering in the end if there is a strong reason to avoid the 2013 in hopes of finding a 2014 or ordering a 2015? Thanks - I value any opinions you desire to shoot my way.
I'll let someone else answer in regards to the tire/wheel combo, I just don't know enough about it.

If you're just under invoice, you may want to hold out for a 2014 or 2015 at this point. There will be a red for 2015, but who knows if it will be available to order right away.

If it were me, I'd hold out another couple months and see what happens with the 2015. You've already waited this long, and you'll get 2 model years newer for a little patience. That way you can order your Jeep to YOUR personal liking.

Good luck! Just make sure to get 3:73 gears on the new ride.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If it's a '13 still brand new on the lot, I'd say go for it IF it is significantly lower than the same jeep in a '14. It's one FULL model year old, almost two. Makes me wonder why it's still sitting on the lot brand new after all this time....
I'm thinking the same thing, why didn't this sell last year? On the other hand, Wranglers hold their value incredibly well and there weren't any significant improvements from 13-14, and the warranty begins at time of purchase.... decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
991 Posts
well if you have to have flame red, it may be your only chance :(

I bought a leftover 13 last oct, but I didnt get what others would call a killer deal (and I honestly dont believe half of the deals I see on here - every Jeep dealer would be out of business if they all sold that far below cost).

Best thing to say is it right FOR YOU? If you need the flame red, and the price works, who cares if the deal is the best or not? How much would it cost to repaint a 2015 and how much would that drop resale value?

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
well if you have to have flame red, it may be your only chance :( I bought a leftover 13 last oct, but I didnt get what others would call a killer deal (and I honestly dont believe half of the deals I see on here - every Jeep dealer would be out of business if they all sold that far below cost). Best thing to say is it right FOR YOU? If you need the flame red, and the price works, who cares if the deal is the best or not? How much would it cost to repaint a 2015 and how much would that drop resale value?
Keep in mind, there will be a red for 2015. Think it's called Firecracker Red. But who knows if it will be available right off the bat. Might be one of those colors that don't open up until sept/oct timeframe.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
If you're just under invoice, you may want to hold out for a 2014 or 2015 at this point. There will be a red for 2015, but who knows if it will be available to order right away.

If it were me, I'd hold out another couple months and see what happens with the 2015. You've already waited this long, and you'll get 2 model years newer for a little patience. That way you can order your Jeep to YOUR personal liking.

Good luck! Just make sure to get 3:73 gears on the new ride.
I believe (and this is just my observation, NO guarantee) that since the new firecracker red was actually released for the 2014, there's a good chance you'll be able to order it for a 2015 when they open. Since it was released so late in the year, I'm guessing they did it so that they could perfect that paint process so that it would be available when the 2015s opened.

X2 on the 3.73s as well.

Forgot to say :welcome: in my first post!

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
Make sure it spec's the way you want it, 3.73's etc, that's the most important thing to consider.

Unless you plan to sell it in 2 years or something, it really won't make much difference if it's a 13 or a 14. And yes, if you get your discounts in line, you can get 1-2% below invoice. The holdbacks are pretty good on Jeeps, but the extra discounts are just a few hundred bucks once you are at invoice or below.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would be patient and get a new year model jeep.

The dealer may even come back and offer you a killer deal that you cant refuse on the 2013 if you walk away... If so, then get the new 13

·
Registered
991 Posts
Make sure it spec's the way you want it, 3.73's etc, that's the most important thing to consider.

Unless you plan to sell it in 2 years or something, it really won't make much difference if it's a 13 or a 14. And yes, if you get your discounts in line, you can get 1-2% below invoice. The holdbacks are pretty good on Jeeps, but the extra discounts are just a few hundred bucks once you are at invoice or below.
yeah 1-2% is what I consider an fair deal. With Tread lightly or supplier discount, its easy to do.

I just love the posts that say I got 6% under invoice and they gave me $3K over what I owed on my 6 month old JK that I financed 100% of. And they threw in a bunch of MODS!

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I'd pass on the 2013...the 2015 order banks will open up in a week or so, and you can order exactly what you want.
The dealer would have to go WAY below invoice to move a 2013 at this point if it were me.

·
Registered
596 Posts
yeah 1-2% is what I consider an fair deal. With Tread lightly or supplier discount, its easy to do.

I just love the posts that say I got 6% under invoice and they gave me $3K over what I owed on my 6 month old JK that I financed 100% of. And they threw in a bunch of MODS!
I didn't believe it when people would say they got 2 or 3 percent under invoice. On Truecar.com they give you the option to be contacted by local dealers. The closest dealer sent me an email that said, "I sell Wranglers at $1500 under invoice." That would be a good deal on a loaded Rubi, but on the Sport I wanted it was almost 5% under invoice. They didn't have what I wanted on the lot so they did a dealer trade for me. I made him show me the invoice to make sure his invoice was the same as mine. They were exact to the dollar. The only thing I paid besides tax and license was a $70 doc fee. I was sure it was too good to be true and kept waiting for some BS but it never came. This was the first week of December. Maybe they had a reason they were willing to go so low.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
I didn't believe it when people would say they got 2 or 3 percent under invoice. On Truecar.com they give you the option to be contacted by local dealers. The closest dealer sent me an email that said, "I sell Wranglers at $1500 under invoice." That would be a good deal on a loaded Rubi, but on the Sport I wanted it was almost 5% under invoice. They didn't have what I wanted on the lot so they did a dealer trade for me. I made him show me the invoice to make sure his invoice was the same as mine. They were exact to the dollar. The only thing I paid besides tax and license was a $70 doc fee. I was sure it was too good to be true and kept waiting for some BS but it never came. This was the first week of December. Maybe they had a reason they were willing to go so low.
I got 5% off my jeep, honestly. There is a dealer in Houston who sells them 5% off every day. I think he's making his money on volume rather than individual sales, financing, warranties, aftermarket add ons, etc.. I just took that quote to my local dealer and asked him to beat it.

There are other ways they make money on jeeps besides individual unit profits. Deals are out there, you just have to be prepared to work for it and wait till you find the best one.

Sounds like you got a great deal, too! :)

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I got 5% off my jeep, honestly. There is a dealer in Houston who sells them 5% off every day. I think he's making his money on volume rather than individual sales, financing, warranties, aftermarket add ons, etc.. I just took that quote to my local dealer and asked him to beat it. There are other ways they make money on jeeps besides individual unit profits. Deals are out there, you just have to be prepared to work for it and wait till you find the best one. Sounds like you got a great deal, too! :)
This exactly. I got mine 3.5% under invoice on mine. There is a dealer in northern VA that advertises 5% off invoice, but they throw in a $499 fee on top. You just have to be patient.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I got 3.7% under invoice.
Why would you not believe that?
Heck Pat used to have a banner at the top of the thread that offered a no haggle 1% under invoice if you didn't have an Affiliate Discount (like Tread Lightly) or 2% under invoice if you did have one.
His thread is still up with the offer.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f127/wrangler-forum-members-special-pricing-64242.html

He has stated that his offere isn't even the best one out there...

Being that he has explained how the Affililiate discount works, it is pretty easy to see why most people get between 2% and 4% under invoice.

We also know that there is a high volume Texas dealer that is often in the 4-5% below invoice range. (While on the flip side it is like pulling teeth to get a deep discount in Florida).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi - I wanted to thank you all for your responses - very helpful!

I am leaning towards a 2014 that has been located for me. Basically, the 2014 is $500 more than the 2013.

I figured the 2013 has depreciated about $3K just sitting on the dealers lot, and I did not want to "buy" that depreciation.

Needless to say, the 2013 price is too high. I told them I would be interested at $21.5K ($3K below invoice). Surprisingly they did not say no. They just have not said yes.

So, if they get back to me today and will accept $21.5K then I'll buy the 2013, if not then it will be the 2014 at 2.5% below invoice.

Thanks again - I was overwhelmed by all the responses (and still digesting!).

·
OVRLNDR
1,803 Posts
I bought a new 13 in October. It was the automatic/24s group and mopar black group. Paid 30,600. Only has 6700 miles on it now and is worth more on trade than someone that bought their 13 in 12 and has 30k on it. The 13 had an interior upgrade and seat upgrade. I enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
I read on another Jeep forum that Firecracker Red for 2015 will be a brighter red but not as bright as Rock Lobster.

·
Registered
830 Posts
The seats in the 2014 are very nice... I'd opt for 3.21 gearing unless your planning on lifting and putting on 35" tires.. I've done some fairly rough rocky rutted roads in our 100% stock sport with 3.21's, 1st lo is plenty low enough to idle up hill and over boulders (in this case boulders being what the sport with no lift can handle ;-). IMO it doesn't make sense to pay extra for 3.73's, if you think you need that I suspect you'll be looking to regear anywho.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts