Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,

I have lurked for about 6 months now and have read a lot of the threads on lifts and wheels, etc. Please don't hate me but I am having some trouble figuring out exactly the right combo. Specifically the tires to fit the stock rims (Sahara) with a 3" Mopar Performance Lift.

My combination: 2014 Jeep Sahara Unlimited in Granite, MOPAR Jeep Wrangler Lift Kit 3" Performance with Fox Shocks (P5156140). I want to keep the stock 18" wheels, I really like the way they look, but want much meatier tires in the 33"-35" range. I am fine with adding spacers if needed but I am concerned about the tires fitting the rims. I want to get the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ Radial SLT Tire (35x13.50R18LT) Is this even possible based on the rim, I think they are likely too wide? What tire would fit if this won't?

I know there are a ton of articles on tires, lifts, rims etc. However, I am laying out a pretty penny and want to make sure I get it right and didn't see my particular combination. I am not doing a theoretical, I am purchasing this asap. Thanks

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
I always advise against buying tires, especially off-road tires, for 18" wheels. They are ungodly expensive. I bet you could buy 16" or 17" wheels AND tires for the cost of tires for the 18's alone. You also wouldn't have to worry about a spacer if you get wheels properly backspaced. Once you get to 18" + in wheels, tires become insane. The other downside is less sidewall when off-road and you may not be able to air down if you need to.

However, if you are intent on keeping the 18's look for a 12.5" wide tire.

-Dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really do want to keep the 18's. I really like the look of them. The tire price isn't a high priority concern and losing some deflation is ok. So I think I have this figured out, but just want to be sure.

3" Mopar lift
Stock 18" Sahara wheels
Good Year LT295/65R18 tires (11.60 wide 33" dia.)
Nothing else needed?

If I understand you correctly, I can't go up a size based on the width of the rim to the Good Year LT325/65R18 (12.60 wide 35" dia.)

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
725 Posts
First, let me say thank you for being responsible in wanting to purchase a tire that actually fits your wheels and not stuffing a wider than recommended tire on your relatively narrow factory wheels.

In reference to the 295's that you mentioned in your earlier post, keep in mind that a 33" tire is only about 1" larger in diameter than your stock tires. That means that your current tire / fender gap will only diminish by about .5" (the other .5" is below your axle center). If you are good with that look, go for it, but you will still need wheel spacers to prevent the tires from rubbing suspension components.

You are correct, your stock wheels are too narrow for 325's.

My personal opinion: I like the new Sahara wheels, but not enough to sacrifice tire size to keep them. I'm not comfortable with running wheel spacers and won't run a wider tire than recommended for the wheel width. I also think that a 3" lift needs a 35" tire to fill the fenders. I'm not a hard core wheeler, but the only way to increase ground clearance at the axles is tire diameter, another reason I prefer 35's. With that said, I would shop for an aftermarket wheel that is available with proper backspacing to allow me to run the tire size I want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First, let me say thank you for being responsible in wanting to purchase a tire that actually fits your wheels and not stuffing a wider than recommended tire on your relatively narrow factory wheels.

In reference to the 295's that you mentioned in your earlier post, keep in mind that a 33" tire is only about 1" larger in diameter than your stock tires. That means that your current tire / fender gap will only diminish by about .5" (the other .5" is below your axle center). If you are good with that look, go for it, but you will still need wheel spacers to prevent the tires from rubbing suspension components.

You are correct, your stock wheels are too narrow for 325's.

My personal opinion: I like the new Sahara wheels, but not enough to sacrifice tire size to keep them. I'm not comfortable with running wheel spacers and won't run a wider tire than recommended for the wheel width. I also think that a 3" lift needs a 35" tire to fill the fenders. I'm not a hard core wheeler, but the only way to increase ground clearance at the axles is tire diameter, another reason I prefer 35's. With that said, I would shop for an aftermarket wheel that is available with proper backspacing to allow me to run the tire size I want.
Thanks for the nice response. Well, I went to pick up the Sahara and the dealership got in a 6spd Rubicon with Max Tow and Connectivity Group as the only options so I got that one instead. I even liked the color! The big drawback on the Rubi's that I would come across is way too many option groups and an automatic driving up the cost.

I am waiting a couple of weeks before deciding to change the wheels and lift, got a check from finance for it, but I am leaning toward keeping it stock.

Thanks again for the great replies!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Keeping the stock 18" wheels with 3" lift he could run pizza cutters...cant seem to find them for the 18" wheel but I swear I saw them earlier today.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts