Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a thousand post about leaks on here, but I am curious if anyone has had this paticular issue.

Picked up my new jeep on Saturday night, since then, every day the drivers side floorboard has been extremely wet....has not rained one time since I picked it up. Have not parked near sprinklers.

When I bought it on Saturday, I am pretty certain the floor was dry.

Spent Sunday swapping all the aftermarket stuff from my trade in. I put the new floormats in sunday night, and then Monday morning the mat was wet on top but the carpet underneath was soaked.

Can't think of anything under the dash that would cause this on the drivers side. Passenger side is dry. It is not wet all the way up to the front where the floorboard slopes up though.

Taking it to the dealer tomorrow, just thought I would see if anyone had any thoughts about it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Have you been using your air conditioner?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Mine was soaked as well. I thought it might have been from snow melt from my boots escaping from the floor liner. Now you have me a little worried, but I yanked the interior so I can closely monitor it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been using the AC. every car I have had in the past if the AC was draining inside the vehicle it was on the passenger side. I will look at the AC hoses though. Would love to save a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Spent Sunday swapping all the aftermarket stuff from my trade in. I put the new floormats in sunday night, and then Monday morning the mat was wet on top but the carpet underneath was soaked.
So if you put the mats in Sunday night and they were dry, then you did not run the Jeep that night and woke up Monday morning with water on top of the mat, then I don't see how it could be anything other than rain water. This may sound stupid, but you are sure it did not rain/storm Sunday night that perhaps you didn't know about? The way the most water gets in (A pillar) is by a pounding rain aka thunderstorm. Perhaps you got a quick moving storm that night and by morning all traces of it were gone?

Just thinking out loud here, but I don't see any other explanation.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So if you put the mats in Sunday night and they were dry, then you did not run the Jeep that night and woke up Monday morning with water on top of the mat, then I don't see how it could be anything other than rain water. This may sound stupid, but you are sure it did not rain/storm Sunday night that perhaps you didn't know about? The way the most water gets in (A pillar) is by a pounding rain aka thunderstorm. Perhaps you got a quick moving storm that night and by morning all traces of it were gone?

Just thinking out loud here, but I don't see any other explanation.
I actually left a little something out earlier. I did drive it Monday morning for a little bit, then I came back home before going to the dealer. I was going to go get the new jeep detailed because we finished up so late the day I bought it, I decided to pull the floor mats out beofre taking it to get detaild so they would vacuum underneath them and that was when I noticed it was wet.

let it dry that day, then yesterday I had the top off all day driving it around, no rain, and it was wet again last night.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rained overnight last night and it is not wet this morning, let it sit in the driveway running with the AC on for a while and did not get wet. Going to drive it for a while and see. Seems to be wet after I have been driving it the last couple of days. Strange problem.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Do you park next to sprinklers?... or over one? :p

Maybe thats the source of the moisture

·
Registered
705 Posts
Simple. Little rivers of anticipation running down your inseam and onto the carpet. It is, afterall, a Jeep!

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Ok, so a change to the sequence of events. So how wet and what is wet? Still the top of the mat and the carpet underneath? If you insist it has not rained, and you are not parking next to sprinklers, then it has to be the AC. Maybe the water follows a different path when driving while the AC is on than it does if just sitting in the driveway. Did you have the AC on while driving with the top off?

Another thought. Where does Chryco route the rear windshield washer fluid line? Possible there is a leak in that somewhere? I know the washer fluid tank is on the drivers side of the engine bay.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, so a change to the sequence of events. So how wet and what is wet? Still the top of the mat and the carpet underneath? If you insist it has not rained, and you are not parking next to sprinklers, then it has to be the AC. Maybe the water follows a different path when driving while the AC is on than it does if just sitting in the driveway. Did you have the AC on while driving with the top off?

Another thought. Where does Chryco route the rear windshield washer fluid line? Possible there is a leak in that somewhere? I know the washer fluid tank is on the drivers side of the engine bay.

I probably did have the AC on with the top off, didn't notice really but I likely did not turn it off.

I am going to put my rugged ridge rubber slush mats in today, if it is dripping somewhere under the dash, thos should catch it and help me find the source.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I probably did have the AC on with the top off, didn't notice really but I likely did not turn it off.

I am going to put my rugged ridge rubber slush mats in today, if it is dripping somewhere under the dash, thos should catch it and help me find the source.
The slush mats will help diagnose, for sure. If you are getting wetness from above, then it has to be the AC, has to be (assuming no rain).

Just FYI, if you get the rain leak at the A pillar, it runs down the door seal then drips over the plastic inside rocker cover and onto the slush mat (if the mat is flush against the rocker). If your mat is not flush against, the water wets the carpet. That's what mine did/still does but to a lesser extent after adjusting the doors and removing the carpet.

Rant: I still don't understand why these vehicles don't come with a rubber floor option......insane.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts