Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to he forum. Forgive me if this is a common problem and a thread already exists. I promise to utilize the "search" option in the future.

I purchased my JK last Friday. On the way home from the dealer (never buying a new car again!) I stopped to get gas. I filled up the tank and gave it a few extra squeezes of the nozzle after the pump clicked off initially.

When I started it back up the check engine light was on and the gas gauge kept jumping from empty to full and back again.

I assumed that it did this because I had overfilled the tank.

I disconnected the negative on the battery and reset the ECU...ECM...whatever.

The problem was solved until I filled the Jeep up again, about an hour ago. Same thing!!! And, again, it was easily remedied with the reset.

However, I do not want to have to reset all of my radio station presets every time I put gas in the darn thing?

Can someone tell me what is up????

Thanks,
Maury

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would try to not give it a couple extra squeezes after the first shutoff and also making sure you click the gas cap at least 3 times when screwing it back in. I know modern vehicles can be temperamental if there isn't a good seal on the gas cap and throw an engine code. if that still doesn't work would recommend bringing it up with your dealer without clearing the code. I doubt they would charge you a diagnostic fee but then again YMMV with different dealers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
x2 take it back to the dealer i would be ticked if i had to unhook the battery every time i got gas and like said above try just letting the pump click off and see if that helps.

my wife had a grand cherokee with the 5.7 hemi and she loved to fill it up till it ran out well she did that once and it flooded the evap system and it threw check engine lights and her jeep would stall out while driving i did some looking on the net and found out that what she did was something alot of people were doing. so i took the evap canister out and sure enough it was full of gas.
not saying thats what is going on with your jeep but just letting you know it could have some bad side effects

·
Registered
705 Posts
Yes, what they said. Never ever "top off" a fuel tank. When it clicks off, hang it up. If you're trying to extend your range, don't bother. Remember, the hose to the tank on a JKU is pretty long, so even when your Jeep says "E" and starts screaming at you to fill up, you've probably got a 2 to 4 gallon reserve leftover.... Your continuing problems may stem from the first time you filled the evap canister with fuel...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the replies.
While taking it to a dealership for warranty work is the obvious choice, I figure I'd best try to figure out the problem so I can tell them how to fix it.

We've been through hell with my wife's '15 Grand Cherokee. I can get on any forum or "google" the term "shifting hard" and find tons of info about the new 8-speed transmission problems. Yet I call or go to the dealership(s) and they're oblivious. I'm yet to get any satisfaction from them. And yet, I went ahead and purchased another Jeep. Go figure!

I know this is a minor issue and will probably have to take it in eventually.

I did find out that, after this last fill up where I didn't try to squeeze extra into the tank, the ECU won't reset until you've driven a few miles and the gas gauge begins to work correctly on it's own.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts