Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a Jeep newbie looking to upgrade the sound on my 2015 JKU. The stock speakers might be some of the worst sounding speakers that I've heard on a modern vehicle. I only have the factory head unit, no navigation display. For the time being, I'd like to just upgrade the speakers if possible. Here are my questions:

1. Will the stock head unit deliver enough power to a decent set of aftermarket speakers such as these?
  2. Would it be better to run a separate amp for the speakers with a stock head unit?
  3. I'm thinking about purchasing a 430N/730N navi display, would that help with power output to aftermarket speakers.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
1. Probably not with the top down.
2. yes
3. no, don't waste your money. For a little over $200 you can get a Pioneer with Carplay/Android Auto and it will sound better than a 430/730. If those features are not important, name brand 2 DIN HU's can be had for less than $100.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips. Will I have any issues with a double din head unit being compatible with Bluetooth and steering wheel controls? I don't want to lose that functionality. I'm assuming they make adapters for all that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A Maestro unit will take care of all of your steering wheel controls. When I swapped my base stereo to an Alpine unit I also kept the stock microphone functionality.

·
Registered
249 Posts
It has been said many times on this forum - replace the head unit before replacing speakers. The factory head unit is garbage as far as SQ goes. Replace it with a decent aftermarket unit (Pioneer, Kenwood) and you might be happy with nothing else. A decent unit can be had for 200 plus add in the maestro and wiring harness from Crutchfield or amazon or wherever.

If you change speakers first, you will definitely be changing the head unit, as you'll hear even more clearly how crappy it is.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I have an 09 with the Infinty and did the tweeter, speaker and sub mod. If I had known how much better it would have sounded by ditching the HU, I would have done that first.

·
Premium Member
3,014 Posts
Will the stock head unit deliver enough power to a decent set of aftermarket speakers such as these?

Yes, better speakers will help. MOPAR Upgrades great for the stock unit or AM radio.

Would it be better to run a separate amp for the speakers with a stock head unit?

Yes, ran an amp with a 430 unit and it sounded very good. Used the Alpine Power pack with MOPAR Upgrade speakers. Decent mid tones/bass. A small sub will make it even better.

I'm thinking about purchasing a 430N/730N navi display, would that help with power output to aftermarket speakers.

No. You will need an amp. For the same price, get a aftermarket head unit. Alpine, Kenwood or Pioneer with the Maestro until for the steering wheel. Will still recommend an amp and a sub.
If you shop around and can do the install yourself, You can do a new head unit, amp, speakers and sub under $1k.
Radio, speakers and amp around $500-600

Reactions: mikesamson

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
I replaced our 16's with the JK Kicker 10's by MOPAR for 50-60 bucks a set, plug and play connectors.

I did all 4 6.5's and the 3 1/2 with bass blockers for the tweeter spot on the dash.

SOUND AMAZING compared to the factory speaks. Wife loves it. Loud enough for top down and still hear it clearly. When we replace the head unit it will really wake things up! But for now we don't need to...
https://www.amazon.com/JEEP-WRANGLE...1-fkmr2&swrs=F503A4747CA46F0089287A1F85D565A1

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
FWIIW, I added two amps, upgraded speakers (Infinity Kappa 60.11CS 6.5" front and Infinity Kappa 62IX 6.5") in the sound bar. Still sucked. I replaced the factory head unit and now sounds awesome. I have a 2014 that came with the Alpine upgrade. Sound is close to my BMW 750 now. Best thing you can do for the sound system in a 2014 or older JK is to replace factory head unit IMO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts