Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, we are new Jeep Owners and I am having a issue with wheels and spacers.

I've done vehicle mods before, lift, wheels tires etc, but this is a first on a jeep.

I ordered rims and when they ordered them, I was told there was a nylon ring that came with them in order to center them on the hub. Okay no big deal. Well they were put on backorder. So I figured I would try to mount them anyway.

I bought spacers to offset also.

Hub Centric Jeep Wheel Spacers 1inch 5x5

These fit like they should, tight.

When I instlled the rims, they fit tight as well.

Drove down the road and I started to get a knock/thump.

Came back to discover they were loose all the way around and when I took the rims off the studs from the Jeep lugs from the hub, that the spacers bolt to, had eat into the back of the rim.

What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
What spacers are you running? The only type you should use are the bolt on ones like spidertrax. You need to use loc-tite on the treads and torque the nuts with a torque wrench in a criss cross pattern. Then do the same with the wheels (minus the loc-tite)

Do you have the right lug nuts for your aftermarket wheels? Maybe they don't use the conical seats like the factory ones?

·
Registered
77 Posts
also did you remove the metal clip retainer on the wheels stud before installing the spacer. if not you have to remove them so the spacer could seat properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered 1 inch Hub Centric Jeep Wheel Spacers 5x5 from Ebay. Not sure what brand it was. Same as those Spydertrax.

They fit up against the hub fine, however the aftermarket wheels are made by Ultra and are the Ultra Motorsports Maverick 234-235's and require the hubcentric ring. When you put the wheels on they move up and down on the hub. The lugs are not like most lugs with the concave to seat them. I am guessing that is what is wrong with them.

·
Super Moderator
15,023 Posts
1" is too small. The minimum acceptable thickness is 1.25" due to the length of the factory wheel studs. To use those spacers you need to cut the factory studs down.

Also, did you remove the rotor clips from the lugs? There are 3 on each rotor.

Might be best to bail on those spacers and buy proper spacers...

The RedRock4x4 spacers from Extreme Terrain are economical and fit perfectly.

Edit: it sounds like you do have a wheel issue. They need to be lug centric...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I just ordered from Spidertrax the 1.25's. I didn't realize they would be too short. Can anyone use those 1inch spacers at all or did i just loose money over those?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts