Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first jeep two weeks ago. '92 I6. Changed the oil, tranny fluid, rear diff fluid, battery, plugs, wires, dist cap and I love it, but there are a couple more things I need to get done.

1. When I turn the wipers on (usually when I turn them to a high freq setting) they go too far and get stuck. Anybody have this problem? If so, how do you fix it? I usually stick my arm out the window and push them back.

2. When it's cold (mornings at ~35 F), sometimes there is a ticking sound. I think it sounds most like the flywheel on a bicycle when it is coasting. I've read up a bit and asked my auto parts store and first guess was the lifters. I'll try to get a video of the sound up soon if I can. Often it just stops when I'm driving down the road and it starts to get warm.

·
Registered
133 Posts
For the wipers, take a SMALL screw driver, pick or allen wrench and insert it in the hole at the bottom of the wiper arm where it goes through the windshield frame and pull the entire wiper arm off. You can then reposition the wipers so theyre in the correct spot.

As for the motor, the ticking... Its a jeep thing. All the motors have a lifter tick. If its not horrible, dont stress too much.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I repositioned the wiper arms, but it didn't fix the problem. The distance the arms travel is erratic. Sometimes they just go farther than normal and that is when they get stuck, even if too far is still on the windshield. I've read other people clean up their bushings and that is a nice fix. I'm going to take a look at the whole system when I get the chance to get in there. Am I correct in that this requires putting the windshield down??

·
Registered
133 Posts
To get to the wiper motor, yes. Its not too hard though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts