Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've got a question I'm sure has been answered but I'm gonna ask it again. I have an 03 TJ, automatic with the 4.0L I6. I've installed a rough country 4" suspension lift and I'm now running 35x12.50x20 Cooper Discover STT Pro. TJ has a d30 in the front and a d44 in the rear. All gears and axles are factory. So my question is what gears do i need to run? 4:10, 4:56? This is not my daily driver. I will be driving it to some trails. Farthest I plan on driving is 3 hours. After that will probably trailer it. What type of axles? G2? What type of locker? Air or electric? ARB or another brand. Since I'm pretty new to the Jeep world all and any advice would be great.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
With the 42rle transmission and 35" tires 5.38 is the recommended minimum gear ratio. Since your D30 can't.go that deep you are limit to 5.13. You need to decide whether you want to install a stronger new front axle capable of deeper gears or just settle with 5.13.

Lockers are your choice. I run non-selectable lockers and Ten Factory chromoly shafts.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Your axles themselves are fine. But as already stated, the deepest the D30 can go is 5.13. Throw some chromoly shafts in them if you want to rest a little easier (at least for the (D30). I like having a selectable locker and ARB is a very popular air locker.

What kind of wheeling are you planning on doing?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Your axles themselves are fine. But as already stated, the deepest the D30 can go is 5.13. Throw some chromoly shafts in them if you want to rest a little easier (at least for the (D30). I like having a selectable locker and ARB is a very popular air locker. What kind of wheeling are you planning on doing?
I thought 4.88 was the lowest you could go in a d30?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I also thought 4.88 was the lowest. Selectables get expensive, as do full aftermarket axles. In a perfect world with unlimited budget have a set of Ford 9s narrowed and built with (i like) 5.13 and ARB air lockers add the big built in compressor for airing up and air tools and call it a day. Shouldn't be more than $10000

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Yes--Revolution Gear & Axle has come up with 5.13 gears for the D30, been out for quite awhile now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts