Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a bent rear axle and got a used Dana 35 to replace it with. I moved the drum brakes from the old to the newer axle. One possible issue:

When putting the drum on the passenger side, I see that the rear of the drum does not evenly overlap the rear of the backing plate. So looking down at the back, it would appear the drum is not all the way on - looks like it should go on another 1/4 inch further at the bottom.

So does this mean the backing plate is bent? Drum fit perfectly on my old axle btw.

Also, will this cause issues in drivability?

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Older YJ's used 10 x 1-3/4" and 10 x 2-1/2" drum brakes.

Later YJ's used 9 x 2-1/2" drums

You might be mixing conflicting parts

Reactions: Got it at last

·
Super Moderator
12,673 Posts
Early axles used non-C-clip axle shafts and later YJ's used C-clip axle shafts.
I'd use the entire rear brakes, backing plates and all from the bent axle if they are interchangeable.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Like mentioned, you likely have the wrong brake shoes for your drum. Either use the break shoes from your old axles, or new brake drums for the current axle. Either option is relatively cheap.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
I am not sure if c clip and non c clip backing plates are interchangeable

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is all that came with the newer axle. Bare bones, basically. So I transferred shoes, drums, brake lines, etc from the old axle. The shoes, drums, etc, fit perfectly on one side. But on the passenger side, the drum doesn't slide on 100% aligned - the lower half not overlapping the backing plate the same as the rest of the way around the plate.

I am thinking either the backing plate on that side is slightly bent or that the end of the axle shaft is slightly bent. I know the drum and shoes themselves are correct.

I'm going to try two things. First, taking the axle shaft off the old axle and putting it on the new. If the drum still doesn't fit right, I'll take the backing plate from the old axle and put it on the new one. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
a bent axle shaft would cause the drum to wobble.

now if you had the right and left axle shaft swapped on a non c-clip rear end you might not realize it until you we're working on the brakes

or if you got mixed up and had two side axles installed

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got it fixed. The backing plate was bent. I replaced it with the backing plate from my old axle and the drum aligned perfectly to it. All good!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts