Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I'm weighing and would just like some more opinions on would be axle choices and decisions. I have a Dana 35 rear with 33s and 3.07 gears. I really want to at least regear to something more suitable for 33s. What would be a good regearing ratio? Wouldn't 4.10s be too big for the D35? Would 3.73 be a good alternative?

·
Supporting Member
2,837 Posts
What I'm weighing and would just like some more opinions on would be axle choices and decisions. I have a Dana 35 rear with 33s and 3.07 gears. I really want to at least regear to something more suitable for 33s. What would be a good regearing ratio? Wouldn't 4.10s be too big for the D35? Would 3.73 be a good alternative?
4.88 is aslow as you can go in The d35 but for a couple hundred more you can swap in a ford 8.8 that is way beefier and has disk brakes

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
It really depends on what you do with it. If you spend most of your time on the road and only an occasional trip on a trail, then you might want to stick with a 3.73. better fuel economy than 4.10 or lower, but enough torque to get those 33s moving well. On the other hand, if you wheel your Jeep regularly, climb hills, crawl rocks, and such, and fuel mileage is not a concern then a 4.10 or lower will be the right thing for you.

Now if going 3.73 and staying on the road, then the D35 will be fine for you more than likely, but if going 4.10 or lower, and wheel it, you might want to think of the D44 or Ford 8.8. I like the idea of a direct bolt in D44, but the 8.8 has a lot of fans, and you can get one already set up to bolt onto your Wrangler from places like ECGS.

I hope this helped!!!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Good advice so far. I don't see what motor you have which makes a differance. If you have the 4.0 then 3.73 or 4.10 will move you along just fine, if you have the 2.5 I'd go 4.10 or lower. Before you regear check the price of parts and labor. Unless you can set your own gears going a direct bolt in 8.8 with disc brakes and your choice of gears through ECGS I feel will be a much better way to go. The D44 would also be great but are not too easy to find with the gears and spring perches where you need them.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Since he has stock 3.07, I bet he has the in-line 6.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Since he has stock 3.07, I bet he has the in-line 6.
Yep, more likely than not he has a 4.0

I pondered this same thing and eventually it was a no brainer to swap axles. On my local CL there's a ford 8.8 and D30 with 4.10s and they're asking $250 and I picked up my 9" for 100 bucks. To me, I would rather spend the extra money on the front end and save money in the long run. Do a need all of a 9"? Nah. Would an 8.8 or even a lil 8.25 work for me probably for right now. But long term I can using the 9" longer than I can the others. And an 8.8 is legit they're pretty close to a 9" in strength

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the great advice! And yes I do have the I6 with 3.07s. I don't wheel a lot, more of a daily driver and I'm on a tight budges so I think my best choice right now is to regear

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Thank you all for the great advice! And yes I do have the I6 with 3.07s. I don't wheel a lot, more of a daily driver and I'm on a tight budges so I think my best choice right now is to regear
Look into the ECG option. May not be much more than a shop doing a regear. You'd get a stronger axle plus all rebuilt seals, etc.

When my XJ d35 started to grind. I was able to find a local jeep guy who pulled an MJ rear end, set me up with new 4:56 and an e locker for not much more than the best shop price I could find to freshen up my tirdy5.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Look into the ECG option. May not be much more than a shop doing a regear. You'd get a stronger axle plus all rebuilt seals, etc.

When my XJ d35 started to grind. I was able to find a local jeep guy who pulled an MJ rear end, set me up with new 4:56 and an e locker for not much more than the best shop price I could find to freshen up my tirdy5.
I think this is a really good idea!!!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
You'll appreciate the 4.10 gears if you get them. Try to find an 8.8 with them. An axle swap with the right gears is cheaper than a regear most likely.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I was looking into this as well. I checked with ECG, and they said that if I switched to 4.10's or higher, I would need a new carrier, as the carrier for the 3.07's wouldn't accommodate 4.10's. So if you switched to 4.10's not only would you need new gears, but you will need a new carrier too if you stick with your stock axle. Please bear in mind I know absolutely nothing about gearing or Jeeps for that matter, and I am learning as I go. But that is what ECG told me when I checked with them.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Yeah, I think the carrier break is 3.55 and down, and 3.73 and up on the D35.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
It won't make a big difference in gas mileage, and the little bit of extra power is nice. Especially if you ever step up to a 35" tire.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Yeah, an 8.8 is only 5/8" narrower on each side. You'll never notice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts