Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 336 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While pursuing Bestop's site seeing if the colors were officially announced I came across the new Bestop NX Plus. Looks like a winner in my book. Little carry pockets in the top like the Glide and a zipper/zipperless combo-maybe a hybrid Glide type of thing. I dont know why I like the pockets so much, but with a 2 door Wrangler any extra storage is appreciated.

I love the look of the NX over the glide, mostly in the back end department. This one appears to be somewhere in the middle between the OG NX and the Glide. The Sunrider feature has additional brackets so that is folds in on itself better I think. With the OG NX, I believe you had to tuck the folds back to get the most Vitamin D in. With this, it appears that the bracketry self-folds on itself to make it easier to open. I see brackets on the rear but it does not appear to fold down like the glide. A bit less overhang than the Glide I think and no straps. Probably makes it easier to remove maybe with the quick release? The Quadratec site has more detailed photos than Bestop. You can see the side windows "glide" in without zippers. The rear must have zippers to make it easier to open for the tailgate I guess.

Just my opinion, but nice innovation. Lots of new cool options coming along.

I gotta tell ya..this looks like the perfect soft top to me. Looking forward to seeing some more info and detailed pics/writeups!

First the colored tops and now this...I feel like I am a spy for the @[email protected] lol. Anyway, here are some links

Gotta show the 2 door link cause those are the best! :beerdrinking:

Quadratec linky

·
Registered
667 Posts
My curiosity is around the topless pics - does this mean it comes off easier, like completely off. The current version is never shown with the top completely off. To me it appears this new version sits up a little higher when folded back, but if you can easily take the whole thing off....I'll get one.

I am also wondering if those rear brackets are to help with back flapping.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I would think that it would make removing the entire top a little more time consuming since you now have to remove the second bar support. I like the fact that this removes the "get out and fold the top back in a W pattern" and I also like that the side windows can now slide in. It is still a challenge when on the garage floor to be able to get the zipper started comfortably and not have to stand up in the back. I really don't have a need to have to remove the entire top since it rolls up and tucks under the sunrider, but when I've done it I can get it back on quickly. The secret I think is to align it correctly and get the pull tabs centered on the side arms and then fold it back.

I'd love to try one out and compare it to my current NX.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Very interesting

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would think that it would make removing the entire top a little more time consuming since you now have to remove the second bar support. I like the fact that this removes the "get out and fold the top back in a W pattern" and I also like that the side windows can now slide in. It is still a challenge when on the garage floor to be able to get the zipper started comfortably and not have to stand up in the back. I really don't have a need to have to remove the entire top since it rolls up and tucks under the sunrider, but when I've done it I can get it back on quickly. The secret I think is to align it correctly and get the pull tabs centered on the side arms and then fold it back.

I'd love to try one out and compare it to my current NX.
I was thinking about the removal part last night. If you want to have the open top more often than not, the Glide is probably filling that nitche . I think with the new cable system, this would be tighter fit overall? I am going borrow an NX to see how I like it as a top. I dont see myself opening or removing the entire top very often. I do see myself using the Sunrider a ton though.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Will need to see if it will be possible to roll this one up with brackets on the rear. I was ready to order the Trektop NX, may need to wait for some more details on this new one.

·
Registered
135 Posts
This is the first I'm hearing about the "NX Plus" model, but if this solves the flapping issue with the regular NX, I'm in.

I love the Trektop NX on my 2dr for it's versatility, but I HATE how it flaps. It flaps against the soundbar at highway speed when I have the windows in, and the back flaps when it's in safari mode. FLAPFLAPFLAPFLAPSUCKS.

The frame on this and extra cable tensioners look like a winner. I want to test one in twill like RIGHT now. LOL

Reactions: deeve

·
Registered
135 Posts
I was thinking about the removal part last night. If you want to have the open top more often than not, the Glide is probably filling that nitche . I think with the new cable system, this would be tighter fit overall? I am going borrow an NX to see how I like it as a top. I dont see myself opening or removing the entire top very often. I do see myself using the Sunrider a ton though.
I run my Trektop NX in safari mode probably 80% of the time, it's actually the reason I chose the NX over the OEM style top. We only button the jeep up when it's going to rain or if we're taking it on a road trip. I open the sunrider once in a while, but the majority of the time I'm in safari mode. The current NX is kind of a pain to button up completely, but it's the the price I had to pay for the versatility.

I want to love the top, I really do. But I just don't. It flaps all.the.time.

Looking forward to the reviews on this new top to see how it compares. It looks like they've addressed all the issues. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Found this on youtube. This sounds like a serious improvement over the original Trektop NX...

https://youtu.be/k-afikX5MC8

I'm glad I held off on the NX Glide.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This topic could not be timed better for me. I was ready to pull the trigger on the Trektop NX Glide for my 2016 JKUR. But honestly, there is something not quite right about how it looks in the rear. To me, the overhang looks too large with the rear window out and the frame looks busy when folded back.

Thanks to you all and the included links, I now know that I prefer a simple bikini type top with the flexibility to quickly replace the rear windows if it starts to rain.

In terms of comparison, do I have this correct?

Trektop NX Glide - is a true convertible top with folding frame, Sunrider function for front and rear seats and removable rear windows with Glide technology and no zippers.

Trektop NX Plus - is a fixed bikini top with Sunrider function for the front seat only (rear seat stays covered) and removable rear windows that include a mix of zippers and Glide.

Thanks for the great information!

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
That does look interesting. I've had the NX on my last 2 JKUs and love the top. The sunrider improvement is very nice, though I'm a bit concerned at the glide quarter windows, based on the feedback from the NX Glide owners of the windows pulling off the channel under tension. I'd also like to see what the glide quarter windows do to the window storage options. Definitely looking forward to seeing some reviews from someone on this new top!

·
Registered
135 Posts
In terms of comparison, do I have this correct?

Trektop NX Glide - is a true convertible top with folding frame, Sunrider function for front and rear seats and removable rear windows with Glide technology and no zippers.

Trektop NX Plus - is a fixed bikini top with Sunrider function for the front seat only (rear seat stays covered) and removable rear windows that include a mix of zippers and Glide.

Thanks for the great information!
This is correct as far as I can tell from the pictures and video. The NX Plus uses a zipper for the back window and the glide channels for the tops of the side windows.

AND NO TOP BOW!!!

·
Registered
667 Posts
This is the first I'm hearing about the "NX Plus" model, but if this solves the flapping issue with the regular NX, I'm in.

I love the Trektop NX on my 2dr for it's versatility, but I HATE how it flaps. It flaps against the soundbar at highway speed when I have the windows in, and the back flaps when it's in safari mode. FLAPFLAPFLAPFLAPSUCKS.

The frame on this and extra cable tensioners look like a winner. I want to test one in twill like RIGHT now. LOL
I am thinking these brackets would work better than straps to control flapping.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am thinking these brackets would work better than straps to control flapping.
Exactly what I'm thinking, that plus relocating the springs/cables to the rear of the top should really help to keep the entire top under tension.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That was understating too. Seems like a very nice improvement over the original.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts

Try bungee ball cords up through the soundbar that loop toward the back then hook to the fabric that lies in front of the soundbar. A 1/2" precut 4' bar from Home Depot that fits in the rear sleeve of the top rear will stop the rear flap. Fix both for

·
Registered
135 Posts
Try bungee ball cords up through the soundbar that loop toward the back then hook to the fabric that lies in front of the soundbar. A 1/2" precut 4' bar from Home Depot that fits in the rear sleeve of the top rear will stop the rear flap. Fix both for
Done both. Neither works to completely stop the flapping, they merely move the flapping to some other location or make the top start buffeting. I was desperate to make the flapping stop, so I've googled the problems and tried all of the recommended fixes. I've tried bungee balls and moving the rear straps and putting a galvanized rod under the rear of the top. They just don't work that well, and truth be told, we shouldn't have to try to rig up fixes to make a top work as advertised.

I really wanted to like the original Trektop NX. I just don't, because it doesn't work well at everything it tries to accomplish. It's a good top because of its versatility. It's just not a great top.

I'm looking to replace my original Trektop NX and I had my eye on the Glide. I held off because I wanted to see how the rear window attached without zippers. I was disappointed after seeing how the rear window on that design worked and how difficult it appears to be to roll it up. Since I'm in safari mode most of the time, I think the Plus may be a MUCH better solution.

If it doesn't flap. LOL

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Done both. Neither works to completely stop the flapping, they merely move the flapping to some other location or make the top start buffeting. I was desperate to make the flapping stop, so I've googled the problems and tried all of the recommended fixes. I've tried bungee balls and moving the rear straps and putting a galvanized rod under the rear of the top. They just don't work that well, and truth be told, we shouldn't have to try to rig up fixes to make a top work as advertised.

I really wanted to like the original Trektop NX. I just don't, because it doesn't work well at everything it tries to accomplish. It's a good top because of its versatility. It's just not a great top.

I'm looking to replace my original Trektop NX and I had my eye on the Glide. I held off because I wanted to see how the rear window attached without zippers. I was disappointed after seeing how the rear window on that design worked and how difficult it appears to be to roll it up. Since I'm in safari mode most of the time, I think the Plus may be a MUCH better solution.

If it doesn't flap. LOL
Are you sure you didn't get an NX for an Unlimited?:atomic: JK. I couldn't help myself. I'd be very frustrated too :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Are you sure you didn't get an NX for an Unlimited?:atomic: JK. I couldn't help myself. I'd be very frustrated too :)
Hah! I wish. The NX for the JKU has brackets to connect the rear bow to the sportcage. LOL

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A buddy is letting me try out his NX and its pretty nice setup. I can see the flapping issue. This one does not seem bad at all around town and not horrible on the highway, but I can see where it would become tiresome on a longer highway trip. The Sunrider feature is fantastic. Putting it on was a bit of a pain trying to fight the zippers, velcro, and alignment. I can see if you do it often that you would get better, but it would still be somewhat of a chore. The middle part with the clips for the sound bar is kind of silly. No way they get tight enough to do anything. If I reach up and pull the flap those clips attach to it does settle the top down. The original intent seems good...the strap length just too long.

Interestingly, right now I do not mind the extra sound from the road. I think a twill top would be even quieter. I would run with this year round, especially in the part of Oregon where I live. Not much snow at all...mostly rain and cold.

I think if this new NX Plus is everything it shows to be, it would be a real improvement. Easier side windows, tighter top and more convient Sundrider. hmmm...

1 - 20 of 336 Posts