Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the compliments. I do like stubby bumpers but here in southern louisiana we dont have many rocks. Most trails here are wooded so i wanted a lil more protection if a tree jumps in front of me.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
what Ga?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Looks awesome I like full widths. How do you do this? In the metal bending field or something? Wanted to make a sort of skid plate for my rear bumper

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The face and skid plate are 1/4 and the rest it 3/16 havent weighed it but it feels like around 100 pounds.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I layed out the face on a sheet of plate and cut it with the plasma. The rest was pretty much cut, fit, and weld. Probably have about 20hrs invloved. Im now gonna get it sprayed with line x.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
That is one heavy ass bumper. Did you buffer the bolts where they mount to the frame?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Great job:thumb:. I'm not a fan of full width bumpers either but for what's available out there yours looks DAMN good.:punk: It'll look really good once you get a winch mounted.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is one heavy ass bumper. Did you buffer the bolts where they mount to the frame?
Yes it is heavy but i like over kill. I can now push pull ram what ever i want with confidence. Im pretty ruff on things lol. The inside the bumper is fully boxed where it bolts up. Grade 8 bolts were put in before boxing it and welded the heads to keep them from turning.

·
Registered
199 Posts
VERY CLEAN! I like it a lot. Yes I agree overkill is good, you can be confident while running over/pushing over those logs. The details are what make it nice, they go out exactly to the fender flairs, the bends are well thought out, and I like the sunken winch area. Great job.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Yes it is heavy but i like over kill. I can now push pull ram what ever i want with confidence. Im pretty ruff on things lol. The inside the bumper is fully boxed where it bolts up. Grade 8 bolts were put in before boxing it and welded the heads to keep them from turning.
There has to be a fusable link somewhere between the trail and your frame. If a bumper is too sturdy impacts with boulders, the ground... other vehicles are transferred directly to your frame! If you hit something hard enough you will bend your frame before you bend that bumper. If you don't wheel hard it should be fine but if you ram something you may do a lot of damage your not expecting. Its a sharp bumper don't get me wrong i'm just giving you something to consider.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There has to be a fusable link somewhere between the trail and your frame. If a bumper is too sturdy impacts with boulders, the ground... other vehicles are transferred directly to your frame! If you hit something hard enough you will bend your frame before you bend that bumper. If you don't wheel hard it should be fine but if you ram something you may do a lot of damage your not expecting. Its a sharp bumper don't get me wrong i'm just giving you something to consider.
Yes i totaly under stand what u talking about and took that in to consideration. And ur right the frame where the bumper bolts on is a weak spot its a crumple zone. Earlier when i mentioned i was ruff, i never meant i was destructive.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Yes i totaly under stand what u talking about and took that in to consideration. And ur right the frame where the bumper bolts on is a weak spot its a crumple zone. Earlier when i mentioned i was ruff, i never meant i was destructive.
LOL... I am! I just assume everyone else is too. Great lookin bumper... Nice fab work.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts