Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up my JKU with the new bumper installed and I am wondering if it's all in my mind or if this new bumper weight is making my front end lower than the original, factory rake. Is this possible? The steering also seems to be a little "off" like there's additional resistance on it or something - I was wondering if this could be from the added force downward on the front.
The new front bumper is 50lbs but I don't know what the factory bumper weighed. I'm guessing in the 20-30lb range maybe? I'm just guessing from when I unloaded it from the shop just now.

So I guess my question is: will I really need to install either new shocks or springs for this added weight? It could all be in my head from driving my wife's BMW for a day or so while the Jeep was getting painted so I thought I would post the question here to see what other's have experienced.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Stock was supposed to be 26 lbs, but if you have the soft springs up front, they'll quickly sag under any increase weight. The ARB I put on my 2-dr Rubi weighed nearly 100 lbs and it really sagged. Jeep put super soft springs on mine - the #15 part number.

To fix mine, I had #18s put in plus a 1.5" hockey puck. Looks great now, and it rides even better than it was originally.

The only 50lb bumpers I know of are aluminum. If yours is steel, then it probably weighs more than you think. As for the steering, no idea. Your steering shouldn't have been affected at all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All of my suspension is currently factory. The steel bumper I installed is only 50lbs (RSE Sleek Line).

As for the steering: it may just be the change in vehicles as I mentioned but I would think if the nose is actually "diving" that added weight/force going forward may impact the feel of steering. Again though, I am not, by any means, an expert or technician when it comes to these things but was just wondering out loud.

I'm glad you mentioned a "puck" because I was looking through some of the online resellers and it appears like a lot of them offer a 3/4" coil spacer that, according to the description, is intended to help level out after installing an aftermarket bumper and/or winch. So hopefully that will do the trick. I don't intend on installing a lift but once my current tires need replaced I will be switching to the largest tire/wheel combo I can fit without a lift.

I'm going to call my local shop in the morning and see if they happen to carry the spacers or I'll order them tomorrow. I think I would need them either way if I want to remove the factory rake, correct?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
This is mine with just a 1" puck up front and new 285/70-17 tires. It definitely levels it out

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,965 Posts
My opinion... yes, the added weight will make the front end drive and steer a little different. No different than loading a shopping cart with all the weight in the front over the castor wheels. Makes it harder to turn.

My $.02

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
unsocbl: Thank you for the info and the pic. Looks good!

Hafaday: Thank you too. Surely my local shop will carry the pucks (hopefully) and I will find out shortly if I'm just imagining it or not but either way it'll be leveled out and that will be a good thing.

·
Registered
23,965 Posts
unsocbl: Thank you for the info and the pic. Looks good!

Hafaday: Thank you too. Surely my local shop will carry the pucks (hopefully) and I will find out shortly if I'm just imagining it or not but either way it'll be leveled out and that will be a good thing.
Rite rite. Also, if running low tire pressures, that will enhance it too.

I noticed the heavy forntend push when I added a winch and winch plate (wanted to save weight over a new steel bumper). I just removed it a few weeks ago for the heck of it... Heavy steering is gone.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did check the tire pressure on the way home and it was running 34 all around.

·
Registered
844 Posts
consider a TF set of pucks, took out rake on my JKUR even with full steel bumper and winch. About 2 hrs of work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jeffashford: Will do. I'm assuming they make the 3/4" because doing a quick search for some reason I only found taller ones (like 2"). But I'm also assuming 3/4" is what I want just to level out everything out.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Mine is a Teraflex 1"...I actually bought the Teraflex Leveling kit that comes with 4 1"inch pucks for the front and 2 1" spacers for the rear...just ended up using only 1" up front on 2 different Jeeps. But Quadratec sells just the 1" pucks if you can't find them locally.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts