Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Newbie here. I am seriously considering buying a 2013 Wrangler. I am not really a bells and whistles guy and think I would be happy with a base Sport Wrangler but really like the 17' wheels on the S package. If I buy the base Sport..can I switch out the 16 steel wheelies with the 17' Sport tires with no modifications? I think I can save some money by getting the base Wrangler and look to purchase S wheels from another source.

Wrangler = Connectivity Group, 5 Speed auto, 3.73 gears, A/C, 3 Piece Hardtop: Sticker price $26,785

Wrangler S = Conectivity Group, 5 Speed Auto, 3.21 gears, A/C, power convenience group, tint, tube side steps, 3 Piece Hardtop: Sticker price $29,460

Thanks much!

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
You can get side steps or rock sliders for about $200-300 and take off wheels for $400-900(depending on rubi or not) so if you aren't a frills guy you should do that. You could even lift it with bigger tires for less than the $3000 difference

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses so far. I would most likely keep the Wrangler completely stock and use it as a daily driver with minimal off road use. I dont need the power windows but the hard top is a must.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Check with the dealer to see if they have any new take offs and work a deal with them, they will need to reprogram your Ecu for 32 inch tires instead of the 29 inch tires.. Other than that that's it, like the other mention too 3.73 gears!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hello All,

Newbie here. I am seriously considering buying a 2013 Wrangler. I am not really a bells and whistles guy and think I would be happy with a base Sport Wrangler but really like the 17' wheels on the S package. If I buy the base Sport..can I switch out the 16 steel wheelies with the 17' Sport tires with no modifications? I think I can save some money by getting the base Wrangler and look to purchase S wheels from another source.

Wrangler = Connectivity Group, 5 Speed auto, 3.73 gears, A/C, 3 Piece Hardtop: Sticker price $26,785

Wrangler S = Conectivity Group, 5 Speed Auto, 3.21 gears, A/C, power convenience group, tint, tube side steps, 3 Piece Hardtop: Sticker price $29,460

Thanks much!
It depends on what you want to do. I bought a 2012 Sport with nothing fancy, just A/C and auto trans. I don't regret it a bit because I had more money to spend on immediate upgrades such as wheels, tires, lift, regear, etc etc. AND I have a lower monthly payment and a better Jeep. It's all personal preference.

And you should be able to find other stock wheels SUPER cheap since that is normally the first thing to go when someone buys a Jeep. Hell, I let mine go for $200.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I ordered the Sport with automatic, 3.73's,freedom hardtop and connectivity. Not fussy on the stock 17's u get with the Sport S so I will swap out the 16's for some other 17"alloys asap!
If u don't need or like the extra goodies that come with the "s" The Sport is the smart choice!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Go with the Sport if you plan on much modding... The only options I wanted was A/C and 3.73's. I can't see getting a Jeep with a ton of foof on it. They all get the best engine and transmission, everything else can be added as you see fit.

Seems like half the people that buy Jeeps ditch the stock wheels and tires, you can find brand new sets of 5 for $600-700 on craigslist.

Wheels, tires and lift are in my future, but Sport S wheels were a cheap addition while I'm building the budget. If I want to take the Jeep on a pavement vacation they will also always make quiet, comfortable spares for the travel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check with the dealer to see if they have any new take offs and work a deal with them, they will need to reprogram your Ecu for 32 inch tires instead of the 29 inch tires.. Other than that that's it, like the other mention too 3.73 gears!

Thanks for the tip..I will check if the dealer has any take offs I can work a deal on or maybe check here or craiglist. Also will have the dealer reprogram the ECU when I do change out the tires if I get the Sport.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the tips people. I am leaning towars to Wrangler Sport as I dont feel the need for the power package...I actually like roll up windows believe it or not. A 5 speed auto, A/C, hard top and upgraded 17's are all I need.

I read the other thread on the 3.21 gears vs the 3.73. Does the 3.21 really get better mileage? I know its sacrilige but I dont think I will be doing much off roading or towing in it. I know the 3.73 are better for towing,off road, potential mods and maybe a future selling point...will this offset any potential loss in mileage?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Not Sure

I read a post somewhere on this site saying the difference on gears wasn't that much as far as MPG. So, my choice would be the 3.73 gearing. As stated, you can get up to 285 x 17 and it can be programmed directly from Jeep. Anything bigger, you'll need a programmer (like a hypertech for about $200) to get exact mph.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Thanks for all the tips people. I am leaning towars to Wrangler Sport as I dont feel the need for the power package...I actually like roll up windows believe it or not. A 5 speed auto, A/C, hard top and upgraded 17's are all I need.

I read the other thread on the 3.21 gears vs the 3.73. Does the 3.21 really get better mileage? I know its sacrilige but I dont think I will be doing much off roading or towing in it. I know the 3.73 are better for towing,off road, potential mods and maybe a future selling point...will this offset any potential loss in mileage?
your right foot will make MUCH MORE of a difference then those gears will.
I have a 2013 Sahara AUTO 3.73s with slightly upgraded tires..NOT ANY TALLER and i regulalry sniff around at 19-20 mpg average..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts