Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced both my cam and OPDA because of the excessive wear with the 05-06 4.0. I used a Dorman unit. The Jeep threw the P0344/cam sensor code a day later, I replaced the sensor and the code returned again after a day. The Jeep will not drive above and bucks vilently at 2200 rpm.

Not sure if it's related but I found what looked like a lose ground running from the head to the same harness as the cam sensor. The Jeep was ok for a day after tightening the harness and disconnecting the battery to clear the code, but the problem returned again.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Did you reuse the factory sensor from the OEM OPDA unit? I hear that the Dorman and Crown sensors are often faulty. If so buy a Mopar sensor or reuse your factory if you still have it

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the oem sensor, an auto zone sensor, and two Dorman sensors but I have no idea which is which. Also apparently the new mopar sensors are low quality just like the Crown and Dorman parts.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
I have the oem sensor, an auto zone sensor, and two Dorman sensors but I have no idea which is which. Also apparently the new mopar sensors are low quality just like the Crown and Dorman parts.
Well that sucks. Check the sensors you have and do your best to try and distinguish which is which. Once you think you've found the OEM one, plop her in and see how it goes. If there are still issues, you might want to pull the OPDA and reinstall and make sure everything is lined up properly

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just found this thread, which had a lot of insightful info for anyone who finds this post looking for answers in the future. P0340/P0344 codes driving me crazy - JeepForum.com

A quick summary of the thread: One member noticed if you cleared the engine code, it wouldn't return until you allowed the Jeep to sit long enough to cool down to 90 degrees. Which seems to fit with my cycle of thinking I've found a fix, clearing the codes and being greated with the same code the next morning. They don't seem to be sure why this happens though. They also seem to have found that the distance between the tone wheel and sensor has a lot to do with it. They mention a thread where someone installed an OPDA in a 4 cyl without adjusting the cam position sensor, and had near identical issues. Unfortunately the 6 cyl doesn't have an adjustment for the sensor so they have resorted to using makeshift spacers. Someone also mentioned that the tone wheel in the aftermarket OPDAs has a lot more up/down play than the factory unit, and it's possible that the wheel is moving enough to mess with the sensors readings. Some have had some luck fixing it with the spacer method and the OEM sensor, others are still dealing with it.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
As for wheel excessive up/down movement (end play), it can be measured & the OEM ones were adjustable. The Dorman/Crown ones can probably also be adjusted. Here are links to the spec & adjustment procedure according to one member.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/2005-06-jeep-opda_cps_distributor-failure-1144202/index112.html#post11897830

2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 80 - JeepForum.com

I would recommend using a high zinc oil like Valvoline VR-1 or using a zinc additive. Oil was heavily discussed in the long OPDA thread linked above.

Also be sure to check that the thrust washer is in place. Here is a link that shows a Dorman without one & the damage it caused. Either it shipped without one or it failed. Lacking the washer would definitely cause excessive end play & more importantly a lot of damage as the gear grinds into the housing.

Dorman opda 689-201 failure! - JeepForum.com

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
As for wheel excessive up/down movement (end play), it can be measured & the OEM ones were adjustable. The Dorman/Crown ones can probably also be adjusted. Here are links to the spec & adjustment procedure according to one member.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/2005-06-jeep-opda_cps_distributor-failure-1144202/index112.html#post11897830

2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 80 - JeepForum.com

I would recommend using a high zinc oil like Valvoline VR-1 or using a zinc additive. Oil was heavily discussed in the long OPDA thread linked above.

Also be sure to check that the thrust washer is in place. Here is a link that shows a Dorman without one & the damage it caused. Either it shipped without one or it failed. Lacking the washer would definitely cause excessive end play & more importantly a lot of damage as the gear grinds into the housing.

Dorman opda 689-201 failure! - JeepForum.com
I'll have to make sure that washer is on my Crown unit. I'm considering getting it installed this week and I'm praying this shop has had some experience replacing these on Jeeps

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I just had right side camshafts replaced and am now having check engine light and traction control light come on. P0344 error and another error not recognizing request from traction control. Also occaisionally engine dies also. Took back to dealership but by the time they got around to looking at it the lights would not come on for them. Basically they told me to bring in when lights are active. Well, by the time I finish work (mail delivery in my vehicle) either the dealership is closed or the lights have reset themselves. Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts