Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have just bought a 97 wrangler and unsure if I have brought a dud. I was wondering what everyone's fuel economy is like and how big is the fuel tank(it also did not come with n owners manual) also was wondering what peoples indication is of the 4wd. The lever moves between 2h,4h and 4l and I can see it moving in the gearbox but I don't know if its actually engaging.
TIA for your help

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Can you tell us more about your “car” which is actually a Jeep? 4.0? Lifted? Big tires? Loaded with skid plates and heavy winch?
My 4.0 with 32” tires and skid plates gets 18mpg and has a 19 gallon fuel tank. There are lotsa folks here that get 11mpg and worse or maybe even better it all depends on mods and condition of your Jeep.

Fill out you profile and tell us more info and you’ll get more comments to help you. You can even get an online manual!
Welcome to the “Jeep world” no cars here.
:beerdrinking:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Welcome to site...Two things, 1-We don't call our wranglers cars and 2- Never look at your gas mileage as miles to the gallon but look at it as gallons to the miles

As ibikee said, with additional information as to the specs of your jeep ,you will get a lot of great information and advice from the members here.Enjoy

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
19 gal tank. Your fuel light will come one with about 5-6 gallons left in the tank so your fill up will most likely be around 15 gallons. Does your 4x4 indicator light come on? Have you tried turning on loose gravel? Can you feel a bind when turned full lock?

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Don’t have enough information from OP to conclude that.

In 1997 the 19 gallon tank was optional, the 15 gallon was standard.

True, I was assuming he had a 4.0. A 15 gal tank came on the most basic, stripped down versions.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I remember when I first joined the site I made the mistake of using the term "Car" I was told by someone on the forum ever time I call it a car a puppy would die. So knock it off and welcome.

Take your jeep on a dirt road or field and learn and feel how 4h 4L while you drive it, you can tell if its engaged or not. oh yeah gas mileage sucks so get use to it.

·
Super Moderator
6,635 Posts
i giggle every time someone gets offended by a person calling a jeep a car. its a car, get over it. If an ultra 4 race car is still considered a car, so are our jeeps.

·
Super Moderator
2,353 Posts
True, I was assuming he had a 4.0. A 15 gal tank came on the most basic, stripped down versions.
It was still optional on the 4.0 through 1999. Wasn’t until 2000 that it became standard.

·
Registered
612 Posts
i giggle every time someone gets offended by a person calling a jeep a car. its a car, get over it. If an ultra 4 race car is still considered a car, so are our jeeps.
Actually the Wrangler is technically considered a truck by U.S. standards. to be even more precise it is a 1/4 ton truck.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I have a car... it's made by bmw... i also have a few of trucks by gmc chevy and ford.... my Jeeps are neither cars or trucks...

General George S. Patton never said "hey Francis, go get my car"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New "JEEP"

Thanks for the info clearly will not be calling it a car on this forum again haha. I see the general consensus on the fuel is that it varies a bit. My tj is the in line 6, 4.0. Only bull bar and skid plate and is driving with the 255/18" muddies.

·
Registered
594 Posts
but that is a car, says so in the name :mooning:
seriously though it is a funny issue, never thought to actually look into what the experts say so I looked it up, according to the Cambridge Dictionary:

car

noun [ C ]

us

/kɑr/

(also automobile)

a road vehicle with an engine, usually four wheels, and seating for between one and five people.

Sounds like a Jeep is a car after all, I think, hahaha

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Thanks for the info clearly will not be calling it a car on this forum again haha. I see the general consensus on the fuel is that it varies a bit. My tj is the in line 6, 4.0. Only bull bar and skid plate and is driving with the 255/18" muddies.
So back on subject. 18 mpg is what I got last time I checked. Mostly country driving, slow steady and just enjoying the ride. Rarely get up to 55mph.
4wd is most noticeable when turning sharply left or right. You won’t really notice it going straight, but REMEMBER, driving it in 4wd on dry pavement is not good for it.
Look here for help finding an owners manual. https://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/1997-wrangler-owners-manual-2146937.html

Can’t remember the other questions you asked.

Enjoy your “JEEP”.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I also get a kick out of scolding folks for calling my “JEEP” anything else but a Jeep. My poor wife killed so many puppies in the beginning. Now she is drinking the koolaid too. All in good fun.

Reactions: Ironhead Jed

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
While a jeep may have the qualifications of a car, a car doesn't have the qualifications of a jeep thus the jeep has earned it's title....

I have had LOTS of jeeps over the years and the best I've ever gotten was @16 mpg... that was in a 97 4 cyl while it had a bad u joint in the front drivshaft causing a vibration... I was driving it slow and gentle for fear of further damage.... after replacing the ujoint (and increasing my hwy speed) my mpg dropped to 12-13.... on my 6 cyl jeeps I have always gotten 10-12 mpg consistently over the last 20+ years

1 - 18 of 18 Posts