Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the day has arrived rebuilt 4.0 going in need a clutch and recommendation? Also bought a bell housing for the exterior slave is there a better/ bad brands i need to stay away from ?

Thanks for input
gonna drive her real soon maybe to Charlotte see Mom.

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Luc clutch is what most forum members recommend.
It's easiest to get a pre-led master/slave setup rather than buy the component pieces or to attempt to your old master cylinder.
You'll have to modify the bottom hole of your new master cylinder so that it will bolt to your firewall. .

Price the disc and pressure plate at Rock Auto and one other place.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
L.M. Thanks for the reply this is my first go around with the swap the different year engine and transmission see the supply house is confusing me with 5 options or so anyway, i purchased a bell hosing to go exterior slave, got the master / slave assembly but when ordering the clutch for the 90 wrangler they try sell me the internal slave kit as well but I need the parts for the new system I have the oval bar for the push bar does the throw-out bearing clip onto that bar? and if so which year clutch assembly do I go with for the AX15? i will be at the shop tomorrow and check the books as well any help is much appreciated as i would like to get the clutch tonight.

Thanks
Rcactech

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Buy the kit that matches the year of the bellhousing. Make sure that your new Pre-bled master slave fits properly on your fire wall and is clear of your booster.
When I did mine years ago, I put in a 97 trans n bell, and the 97 master n slave was wrong on the firewall side. But I don't remember what year tj fit correctly any more. I'm not a fan of the luk branded throw out bearing, some are but the plastic and stamped steel version have been problematic and noisy for me. I prefer the national brand tob myself, but others have had no issues.

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
I believe the 1994 and 1995 YJs have the external slave cylinders. I suggest buying and replacing the pilot bearing in the rear of your crankshaft if the kit doesn't come with one.

I have an AX15 to rebuild, so when I install it I'll do the external slave bellhousing thing also.
I'll start with a '94-'95 YJ clutch setup and hope that'll work.

The throwout bearing advice by Ov yj is something to consider. About that, I just don't know.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Question about removing the shift column. There seems to be a rubber boot on top of the trans housing at the base of the column, not the boot in the cab. Beneath is the flange (?) which gets depressed and turned counter clockwise to release the column. How does the boot come off?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow a year has passed been thru a whirl wind. I did get to Charlotte, Anyway 4.0 is in. Dash smoked when we tried to start her up. Rats had moved in before it was mine. I had the guys replace the wiring I got used. I did get a new Weber and plate I had to fit. Bought the CRT Distributor pulled the computer and duraspark module. I found several clumps of melted wires Ugh! Now I will learn how to rewire the Jeep. I would like to see this done this week and advice be great. Looked at several harnesses not yet sure which I need. Downloaded all sorts of instructions. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts