Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch died on my way home this weekend. It had to be towed, today the guy said the pressure plate literally broke and that jammed the flywheel into the engine. I'm calling him to get the full story but I was told he wants 1100 for the whole thing. 500 for the clutch alone. this sounds really high to me?? I don't really know though. ideas?

04 TJ with an inline 6. stock

·
Knows a couple things...
49,134 Posts
The flywheel is a heavy and thick enough hunk of steel that I don't see how a broken pressure plate could have even come CLOSE to jamming it into the engine. $500 to install a clutch is not unusual but the rest of the story sounds fishy to me. Replacing a flywheel would take 2 minutes once you get the transmission dropped and a replacement flywheel (if it was seriously damaged) can be found for <$100. Sounds to me like you need to get your TJ to a different shop.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here's what he said: 400 for the clutch + 150 for the throw out bearing + 6 hours of labor = 1100 bucks for the whole job. He said he still isn't sure just yet as to what went wrong. He needs to pull out the transmission and take stuff apart to be sure. He said he can get it in gear and drive it but turning off the jeep and slipping it in gear then. From the feel he thinks its a broken pressure plate. That's what I was told not sure where that leaves me. I'd have to have it towed to another shop just to get the work done.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,134 Posts
$400 to install a clutch including a throwout bearing is not unusual... wanting to charge an additional $150 to install a throwout bearing that takes no additional labor to install is. Especially since you can buy an ENTIRE OE Luk clutch kit that includes the clutch disk, pressure plate, pilot bearing, pilot shaft, and throwout bearing for under $150 total.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Find a different shop.

·
Registered
166 Posts
$150 for my clutch kit (clutch pressure plate, throw out bearing), $80 to resurface the flywheel and 5 hours of labor at $92 an hour for a total of $690 at a very good mechanics shop. I thought it was worth it vs me trying to do it over a weekend...

·
Knows a couple things...
49,134 Posts
Except when the flywheel has been severely damaged, the factory recommends the flywheel not be resurfaced. It has a special dome shape on its face that resurfacing/machining removes. The Factory Service Manual says to only use a mild grade of sandpaper or emory cloth to remove any surface glazing that may be present on the flywheel.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Like everyone else said - get a new shop. It'd still be cheaper to tow it somewhere else. .

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I called several shops before installing myself. Average price including the clutch was around 700ish.

·
Registered
280 Posts
A decent quality throwout bearing is about $70. The labor time guides show about 3.8 hours for a clutch install. Find a new shop.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Dang, I got a new second gear, main shaft, syncro kit, two bearings, clutch kit, flywheel resurfaced, and labor for $1,300.

Tell the guy to get bent, and get your wagon off his property.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
On my recent failed trip to run the Rubicon Trail, I broke down in Elko NV when my clutch throwout bearing began to disintegrate. I limped my Jeep to a small independent shop, which happened to be run by an ex-Jeep dealer mechanic. We did a little negotiation as far as the labor charge was concerned. My parts list included:

- new clutch kit with throwout bearing
- new flywheel
- new slave cylinder (in hindsight, I should have vetoed this)

My total cost, including sales tax and everything, was $805. Based on this experience, I will also say you need to find a different shop.

·
Registered
421 Posts
First off where are you located. Many of us forget that labor prices vary across this nation. I agree the price seems high but would be normal for my location. Really depends on where you are at.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts