Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here's the story, I have a 01 sahara 5sp. I needed a new clutch disc, so while i was down there i ended up replaceing a master/slave cylinder, new clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. The install went fine but after i got everything put back together i couldnt get the jeep in gear with the engine on. When the engine is off i can put in gear just fine and start it in gear and drive it in that one gear, but i cant shift out or in to another gear. Sooo i don't know what im missing...:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Any suggestions would be great!:thumb:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Did you bleed your slave cylinder? If you have air in the system it won't disengage the clutch properly and you will have problems getting it into gear.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i have i replaced the master and slave cylinder about a week before i put the new clutch in. i think i found whats going on, i haven't replaced the pilot bearing yet and i tryed to spin the old one and its not budging. so now i'm looking on how to replace it.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
The pilot bearing is seated into a bronze bushing and it is in there pretty tight. I used a slide-hammer bearing puller borrowed from Autozone to get mine out. Others pack the area behind the bearing with grease and after inserting a steel rod or punch the diameter of the inner bearing shaft opening, smack it with a small sledgehammer to force the bearing out hydraulically.

I can post a pic of using the slide-hammer bearing puller to extract my pilot bearing tonight once I get home if that would be helpful.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for everyones input. I got everything fix and its shifting great. I had to replace the bearing jerry was talking about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts