Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out a vibration.... hmmmm.... Is it possible that a vibration could be caused by a slightly slippin clutch??? I dont really think it is slipping wouldnt it slip in 4th and 5th more than the lower gears? I accelerate hard in first gear and get a vibration (from the drive line somewhere maybe). Today i took off from a stand still on a steep hill and got a lot of "chatter" I have heard this may be from a flywheel that needs to be resurfaced.. may this be the area i look to solve the shake i cant shake??

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Smooth with 4wd

just realized that everything is as smooth as can be when 4wd is engaged.. Does this make any difference?

·
Registered
189 Posts
have you done any suspension lift latley? once you lift a jeep more than about 3.5 inches you start to get driveline vibrations you can remedy this by lowering the transfer case for about 30.00 then once you go higher you will have to install a slip yoke eleminator kit and a CV drive shaft for about 500.00

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
setting at stock ride hight for now. i would like to lift but I really want to figure this one out first.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Did you check the drive shafts for dents that may get them out of balance?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Crawl under the Jeep and check everything. All 6 u-joints, motor mounts, trans mount, whatever. A trick to help you find 'almost bad' u-joints is: Leave the Jeep in gear, crawl under, then use a foot to try to force a rear tire to roll the Jeep. The oscillation you create will tighten the drive train in opposite directions quickly and marginal u-joints and such is easy to find.

·
Registered
52 Posts
JeeperDon said:
Crawl under the Jeep and check everything. All 6 u-joints, motor mounts, trans mount, whatever. A trick to help you find 'almost bad' u-joints is: Leave the Jeep in gear, crawl under, then use a foot to try to force a rear tire to roll the Jeep. The oscillation you create will tighten the drive train in opposite directions quickly and marginal u-joints and such is easy to find.
can you explain this...because I get some vibration, or sort of lack of engage, when I start from a dead stop sometimes. I have felt a slipping clutch, and this is not that, however, it does seem to vibrate under the load of the vehicle in that 1st gear...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
can you explain this...because I get some vibration, or sort of lack of engage, when I start from a dead stop sometimes. I have felt a slipping clutch, and this is not that, however, it does seem to vibrate under the load of the vehicle in that 1st gear...
i have been told that it is possibly a flywheel with hotspots on it causing the vibration.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts