Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I noticed the someone had backed under my Jeep. It put a small dint in the corner of the plastic part that pokes out on the back. I can't get to it from the inside and the only way I can see to fix it is to drill small screw in and use it to pull it out. If I did it on the trail, it would be fine, but parking lot love makes me mad!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
That OEM rear bumper is hallow plastic. When I got the aftermarket bumper I was shocked to find the only metal on the OEM bumper was the brackets that mount it on.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I had a similar problem (and only a month old! :mad: :mad: :mad:). I thought about taking off the rear bumper and cover, then pop the dent out, but it looks like the rear bumper cover is fully enclosed (kinda tube shaped?). Any advice?

Probably about 6 mos or so from rear bumper upgrade, but still has me po'ed.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
If u have a compressor and a small blow gun attachment, drill a small hole about 3/16 or what ever diameter gives a good seal to the tip of the gun under the damaged section and give it a good shot of air. I've seen it work well on some larger dents, the small ones on the corner of the the rear bumper sections that protrude out may not work as well, but it may pop it out enough that it doesn't look so bad.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Check craigslist for a new one...pretty cheap. In fact, I have a set of Mountain Edition for sale cheap in the fs section!
Troy

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Check craigslist for a new one...pretty cheap. In fact, I have a set of Mountain Edition for sale cheap in the fs section!
Troy
I have, and the cheapest I've found is $200 (just for the rear!) and they wouldn't budge. Obviously NOT a member of this forum.

·
Registered
995 Posts
if you were / are going to be in the Abq area you could have my old one.

PITA to ship though

·
Registered
1 Posts
New here to the forum. Re-joined the jeep clan 2 weeks ago and couldn't be happier to be back. Made a Careless error the other am pulling out of my driveway, and barely bumped my right front fender putting a nice lil dent in it.

Bought a heat gun for about $25 and was able to get about 95% of the dent out. I feel very relieved.

That said, I want I buy an after market one. Anyone ever purchased this one..?

https://www.quadratec.com/products/12116_4020_07.htm

-Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
I put a dent in my rear bumper lately as well. Yup, did something stupid!

I was able to fix it by first taking off the bumper which required removing 6 bolts. I was going to drill a hole and try to push out the dent with a screwdriver when I noticed that there were 4 small drain holes on the bottom of the bumper. I used Gorilla tape and taped over 3 of the 4 holes and then put the small nozzle from my compressor in the 4th hole. The next step was to heat up the dent using a hair dryer. Once it was warm to the touch, I fired up the compressor. I did a little massaging on the area around the dent and pretty soon I heard a "pop"and the bumper was pretty much back to it's original state.

·
Registered
920 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but are the oem front and rear bumpers the same on a 2 dr as a 4 dr. I think they are, but want to be sure.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but are the oem front and rear bumpers the same on a 2 dr as a 4 dr. I think they are, but want to be sure.
Yep, they're the same.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts