Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Translation for my American Cousins: Wallet = Billfold

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Haha that's great!!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Love it!

(We usually say wallet, too. Billfold is usually women.)

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Blind Dog said:
Love it!

(We usually say wallet, too. Billfold is usually women.)
I was gonna say I call mine a wallet...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was gonna say I call mine a wallet...
You know what they say, "England and the USA.....................two countries divided by a common language!!!!!":whistling:

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
General Confusion said:
You know what they say, "England and the USA.....................two countries divided by a common language!!!!!":whistling:
:rofl: that's funny
What do you call train cars? Went through an old Pullman car the other day with two guys from the UK, they said they call most train cars pullman's, do you?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would tend to call them 'Coaches' or 'Carriages'. Sometimes it depends on local dialects as well. I am a Cockney, originally from East London. ( I do a better accent than Dick Van **** did in Mary Poppins :D )

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
General Confusion said:
I would tend to call them 'Coaches' or 'Carriages'. Sometimes it depends on local dialects as well. I am a Cockney, originally from East London. ( I do a better accent than Dick Van **** did in Mary Poppins :D )
Ah ok it was just interesting to me that e would say that, I mean tissues= Kleenex, bandage = band-aid (at least here in the states) but I never think train car= Pullman
Oh and coach to me means bus , I work onboard motor coaches

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tend to agree on some of those.

Band-Aid = Plaster (as in Sticking Plaster)

I also use coach for a single deck bus. Bus tends to refer to the double-deck London buses (short for Omnibus (look it up))

I tend to be bi-lingual as we spend a lot of time in Canada with my cousin and his wife. She was born there and he has lived there since he was four. I'm trying to teach her Cockney Rhyming Slang. Cockney rhyming slang - expressions and meanings which she is struggling with.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
General Confusion said:
Tend to agree on some of those.

Band-Aid = Plaster (as in Sticking Plaster)

I also use coach for a single deck bus. Bus tends to refer to the double-deck London buses (short for Omnibus (look it up))

I tend to be bi-lingual as we spend a lot of time in Canada with my cousin and his wife. She was born there and he has lived there since he was four. I'm trying to teach her Cockney Rhyming Slang. Cockney rhyming slang - expressions and meanings which she is struggling with.
Right coach is a single deck bus
I call double deck buses top decks , (the company that manufactures them for the US market calls them TD925 and the td is for top deck)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If we carry on like this Mate, we may well succeed where others have failed in getting Brits and Americans to actually understand each other.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
General Confusion said:
If we carry on like this Mate, we may well succeed where others have failed in getting Brits and Americans to actually understand each other.
:rofl: who knows, I also say mate a lot. Our local police chief is a Brit and his nickname is mate

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I also call it a wallet. :hide:
No need to hide.:) What always throws me is what my wife calls a handbag, my cousin calls a purse. What my wife calls a purse, my cousin calls a wallet.

Perhaps the Canadians are throwing a spanner (wrench) in the works:whistling:

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
General Confusion said:
No need to hide.:) What always throws me is what my wife calls a handbag, my cousin calls a purse. What my wife calls a purse, my cousin calls a wallet.

Perhaps the Canadians are throwing a spanner (wrench) in the works:whistling:
Canadians have yet another version of English. With some French influence depending on the region.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Canadians have yet another version of English. With some French influence depending on the region.
Bugger Me!!!! It's getting confusing now.

Perhaps we should stick to Wranglers, at least that is a common language (except that mine is a right-hand-drive). :facepalm:

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
General Confusion said:
Bugger Me!!!! It's getting confusing now.

Perhaps we should stick to Wranglers, at least that is a common language (except that mine is a right-hand-drive). :facepalm:
My colleague has a RHD Cherokee, it's fun to drive, exp with a dog in the passenger seat, you get weird looks

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Better if he fits a false steering wheel.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
General Confusion said:
Better if he fits a false steering wheel.
Might have to suggest that. Would be funny

1 - 20 of 21 Posts