Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be installing the AEV 3.5 lift on a newly ordered Unlimited Rubicon and I am trying to hone in all the details. This time around is the drive shaft clearance issue.

Other than a cost difference, would there be any reason NOT to go directly to a new Tom Woods/Adams DS over the exhaust spacers?

Thanks!
ERAU

·
Registered
907 Posts
I will be installing the AEV 3.5 lift on a newly ordered Unlimited Rubicon and I am trying to hone in all the details. This time around is the drive shaft clearance issue.

Other than a cost difference, would there be any reason NOT to go directly to a new Tom Woods/Adams DS over the exhaust spacers?

Thanks!
ERAU
Go with the driveshaft , the stock one won't last long with that lift height especially off roading..

·
Registered
907 Posts
Eh run them till they die. I'm now seeing rebuild kits and writeups. The factory Cv joint will be less hassle then dealing with u-joints/pinion angles.
Can you enlighten me on these rebuild kits and writeups kjeeper10...

·
Registered
907 Posts

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Wow kjeeper10 I'm now enlightend, nice writeup . I run a JE REEL fr DS , but still good to know. Do know were I can get an upholstered work bench like in writeup? lol...
LOLZZZ

I did replace my front (Adams)!but have a rear back up. Once (if) this one goes. I will swap in the spare and try to rebuild it
Looks easy enough ...
Somebody mentioned this ... If only a manufacture implemented dual a rzeppa's on a stronger shaft .. We'd be golden. These joints hold angle well and won't vibe like a u-joint.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Yea I concur good to know info still ,thanks

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
My Rancho shocks are long...probably too long. I had to do both, just to be safe.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I was able to get ~17000 on my stock 2010 front with a TF 4" lift before the boot gave out... but I was light on the off-roading. Just keep an eye on the angle and how much the boot gets pinched while sitting at ride height, because off-roading will most likely cause it to pinch sooner. If you don't change it out and don't make a point of checking it weekly, just listen for the "click." When you start hearing a clicking noise from underneath, then most likely the boot is torn and the grease has been thrown out.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I've got 20k on my driveshafts with the AEV 3.5 & they're still going strong. I wheel it too.
57,000 and running strong. I wheel and do backcountry too. AEV 3.5

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Wow that's pretty cool. Filed for future reference. I still think I want to go aftermarket DS even though it means dealing with pinion stuff. I want to get the Evo skid setup that goes in that area and exhaust spacers and Y pipe replacements both interfere with it from what I've read.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts