Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought my first jeep this past June and I am in love with it. I have finally bought 3.25' suspension lift for my automatic 2008 2dr jk but I ran into a dilemma. On the instructions it says that some times automatic jeeps might need a new drive shaft because the stock one is too big. But the thing is, it says it MAY be a problem but doesn't happen with every jeep. Has anyone ran into this problem and if so did you have to get the new drive shaft or does the stock one work fine with no problems. Any advice would help

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
You might want to ask a moderator to move this to the JK Tech forum. You'll get better answers there. This is the Build forum where people post details and pictures of what they've already done to their jeeps. No guarantee the right tech help will be here.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Good post SB

OP.. Every forum I know of, has sticky threads. These are "stuck" and never move from the top of the section you are in. I made it every easier And posted the link in my sig down below. Check it out.

I can't leave without answering your question. I'll take a stab at at.

The reason why manufacturers recommend a DS with a auto. Assuming your lift supplied longer shocks ?
If you disconnect your swaybar in the front, plus the added shock travel. The DS can contact the crossmember/exhaust underneath.
If you don't off road, I see no reason to rush out and buy a DS.
If you do ... Google "teraflex exhaust spacers"
Cheap and should help give the clearance you need.

So..... Do you need a DS. The answer is NO. "But" with any lift. It's always a good idea to watch around the CV joints/boots for grease splatter. This is a sign the DS is on it's way out and needs to be replaced.

Good luck

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
I believe the exhaust spacers are for 12 and newer models. I just tried to purchase some for my 09 and was told they didn't have them for that model.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
The exhaust spacers help because of the way the new exhaust was run, but it does not eliminate fatal angle. It exists in JKs of all years.
When you go over 2.5 inches on a 2 door you risk the ds boot making contact and tearing. Once it tears, it's just a matter of time before you need a new shaft. Not disconnecting is one way to help avoid it.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Correct Tom, but this is the same with a 2 door and 4 door. The front shaft is the same lengths on both.
Disconnecting does put more stress on the transfercase CV joint can hit the exhaust. I thought exhaust spacers worked on all years. I mean the exhaust still does cross over and the DS can hit with too much droop ?
I do believe fatal angle is more of a concern with the 3.6 because if how the engine or TC are set (I forget)

Also not mentioned, adjustable control arms can be used to better pinion angle, but at the expense of caster and good handling. Around 4" of lift it becomes a problem trying to balance pinion (no vibes) and caster (good handling) with only 6* of separation.

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
OP - 3.8L engine (what you have) and the stock driveshaft... well in some instances - the driveshaft will contact the oil pan when you're disco'd offroading. ask me how i know this.

front DS isn't as much a concern with the exhaust on the 3.8L but because the DS is so thick - we you're flexing - it comes close or hits some stuff you don't want it hitting. i ran the stock DS for a while, a while too long - now i have a weep from the oil pan that i live with. the edge is "filed" down from rubbing so much over time.

when you can - just look to replace it. maybe when i'm a bit more motivated, i'll go take some pictures of mine for the betterment of the group....

oh and yeah - i just used "betterment" on the WF. :facepalm: :nonono: i'm going to have to punch myself in the face later.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
OP - 3.8L engine (what you have) and the stock driveshaft... well in some instances - the driveshaft will contact the oil pan when you're disco'd offroading. ask me how i know this.

front DS isn't as much a concern with the exhaust on the 3.8L but because the DS is so thick - we you're flexing - it comes close or hits some stuff you don't want it hitting. i ran the stock DS for a while, a while too long - now i have a weep from the oil pan that i live with. the edge is "filed" down from rubbing so much over time.

when you can - just look to replace it. maybe when i'm a bit more motivated, i'll go take some pictures of mine for the betterment of the group....

oh and yeah - i just used "betterment" on the WF. :facepalm: :nonono: i'm going to have to punch myself in the face later.
Yours hit the oil pan? Mine hammered the transmission pan. I ended it replacing the pan along with the drive shaft. I reckon the betterment is showing in more ways for you Bob....
...the other Bob

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
Yours hit the oil pan? Mine hammered the transmission pan. I ended it replacing the pan along with the drive shaft. I reckon the betterment is showing in more ways for you Bob....
...the other Bob
:rofl: i believe you might be right...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts