Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blew out my front driveshaft this weekend. I have a 2010 JKR with a 2.5" lift. I plan on eventually going 3.5" lift. What are everyone's suggestions on a new one (brand,length, ect.) and what linkages to get? Thanks for your input!

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
There's so many .. Adams was the cheapest before they upgraded to sealed joints and supplier cost went up.

Measuring length will depend on the manufacture. Adams asked for my height. Others have you measure.

You can drive without your front shaft in 2wd. Also... Crown now makes a rebuild kit for the CV joint. $100 or so ... Doesn't look that hard either.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
First pick a manufacturer. They will help you determine the length.

Unless you really plan an applying some torque go with 1310 over 1350 joints. The extra beef in the 1350 reduces the safe operating angle in '50s.

I've always liked Woods but there are other good brands like Tatton, Adams and Reel.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Just curious what happens when you blow out your driveshaft? I have a 3.5 inch lift and expect to replace mine eventually. What happens?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Just curious what happens when you blow out your driveshaft? I have a 3.5 inch lift and expect to replace mine eventually. What happens?

Well it depends on which joint "blows out" but It can slap around under your rig and make a helluva noise.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
If it's not a catastrophic failure at highway RPMs then with stock shafts it is usually failure of the boot holding the grease around the bearing.

When the boot fails, and you haven't noticed this, the grease is then slung away from the bearing and lands all over the area around the break.

Your first clue to a gradual loss of grease is a ticking noise coming from underneath. It pays to take a drive with the windows down or doors off every now and then. You'll know it when you hear it. Smarter Jeep owners make regular health and welfare checks under their rigs.

Other types of failure are if you drop or drag the shaft on an obstacle while off-roading, which could crush or bend the shaft, or just knock a balance weight off. These would most likely manifest as vibrations of some magnitude.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Krawl shaft was cheaper than expected and it's rock solid - diameter is great at 4" lift comes nowhere near my exhaust cross come flexy time

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I've been running the K-O-R front shaft since January of 2013 and haven't had an issue with it yet, and have been wheeling the hell out of it!!!!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
The boot let go recently on my '14 2dr. I was under it doing some work and got grease all over my hands and got an instant mental image of Kjeeper10's newby's guide saying that the CV will eventually fail. Turns out it did!
Crown now makes a rebuild kit for the CV joint. $100 or so
Anybody have a link for this?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Still running great. No problems

Tom Woods sells a lot of shafts and gets a lot of satisfied customers but also seems to have quite a few unhappy ones for some reason. Plus, I had a woody a few years back and it had a squeak/whistle that others have complained about. Jason is a nice guy and very helpful. Got my RK lift from him along with several other parts. I could be wrong but I don't see any advantage of the Adams over the the Krawl off-road so I'm going with Jason. We need more reviews out here for the Krawl off-road shaft. Thanks for the update!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts