Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new owner of a 2019 Certified Pre-owned Rubicon with the Turbo 4 cyl, I am excited to see more engine options and what FCA does with the hybrid going forward.

While a hybrid might be scoffed at by a Jeep off-road purist, the new hybrid engine option ultimately helps grow the Jeep fan base and gives people who live in city environments or who do a lot of stop and go driving (Uber and DoorDash gig workers) an option that is better on gas. It also shows FCA and Jeep fans are environmentally conscious, care about our public lands, and are not afraid of embracing advanced technology.

The hybrid option certainly isn't for everyone but is still yet another option that shows there is a Wrangler for everyone's needs. Should be very interesting to see what is to come.

·
Registered
186 Posts
As somebody who had to get rid of his wrangler due to the cost of driving it, I can see the positives here. My son now drives my 2014 Chevy Volt and I drive a Model 3 for my DD. Jeep really needs electric options beyond a hybrid. My cost for driving 3000 miles a month went from around $500 to $80/month when I switched from an ICE to electric. Plus the power is insane.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Last year I bought a MB mild hybrid. It’s an interesting design with a turbocharged I-6 gas engine and an electric motor/generator between the engine and the transmission. There are no belts and all the accessories are driven off of the 48V battery charged by the electric generator. The generator also acts as the starter and booster for takeoff before the turbo kicks in. The result is a very smooth takeoff performance with virtually no perceived turbo lag. There is also an electronic intake pressure assist booster that spins a 100K RPM. The gas mileage is impressive for a 430 HP 4400 lb vehicle, much better than any car I’ve owned with similar HP and acceleration. 0-60 in 4.0 seconds. I need the gas engine b/c I travel on long road trips where electric vehicle range limitations would be an issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts