Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Wrangler fever and have been shopping for a 2017 - going back and forth between 2 and 4-door model, and soft and hard top. It won't be a daily driver but will hit some mountain roads as often as possible. Don't see extreme rock climbing in the future. I've bounced around between the Sport and Rubicon models but the Rubi may be more than I need for my plans. We enjoy tent camping and don't know if the 2-door would have enough storage for camping equipment, although I like the looks of the 2-door. Decisions......

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
As you probably know, there are all sorts of racks out there for JKs for extra cargo. Even with my back seat out (see sig line), we still need more room for cargo when we go camping.

I went with this one and it suits our needs perfectly but there are a ton of options out there.

Sounds like you don't really need a Rubicon. If that's the case, then you might want to think about getting one of the Sport packages and with the savings build it the way you want it. Even with the money I've sunk into building my Willys I'm still well below the cost of a comparably equipped Rubi and couldn't be happier with my Jeep. And if ultimately you decide you want a Rubicon just because you want a Rubicon, that's cool, too.

Good luck with your decisions and once you've made them don't look back. And welcome to the Forum. A wealth of information from very nice folks plus a few cranky ones.

·
Registered
431 Posts
How many people are you? I have a Rubicon and certainly don't need it. But I wanted it and knew I wouldn't be happy with anything else. I recognize that in my world it was a big waste of money, but oh well. if you want the Rubicon and it's in your price range, that I would go for it. I have no regrets whatsoever.

There are three of us and a medium dog, and the Unlimited fits our camping stuff nicely. I couldn't get away with anything smaller and would prefer not to use racks on the exterior. I would suggest considering the Unlimted, the extra space is well worth it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
500 Posts
If you're going to be hauling more than two people and any substantial amount of gear, get the 4-door. It has tons more room for passengers and gear. It's a mess for adults to get in and out of the back of a two door. Definitely check them both out at a local dealer.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I definitely agree with the extra space in the 4 door and if you plan on transporting any more than 2 of you comfortably.

As mentioned, if you need more cargo, there are a ton of options to add to the back and the top of the wranglers.

If you don't need the extras of the Rubicon, it may not be worth the extra money, but if money is not any issue, then go for it. The Rubi and the Sahara models have a lot of extras that are appealing. You should also check out the special edition models they have out this year...very nice ones.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I definitely agree with the extra space in the 4 door and if you plan on transporting any more than 2 of you comfortably.

As mentioned, if you need more cargo, there are a ton of options to add to the back and the top of the wranglers.

If you don't need the extras of the Rubicon, it may not be worth the extra money, but if money is not any issue, then go for it. The Rubi and the Sahara models have a lot of extras that are appealing. You should also check out the special edition models they have out this year...very nice ones.

Good luck.
The Willys edition seems to be a good middle ground option but they are hard to find in the Unlimited edition.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
The Rubicon adds some features that are really nice if you plan to hit the rocks, but are at best useless for many situations and in some cases a downgrade from options available on the Sport depending on usage. It really is a case of know what you will be using it for, and buy appropriately. Sounds like a Sport with an LSD is a better option for you than a Rubicon with the lockers.

If you have a spot to store it, the hard top is great. The soft top is kind of a pain in the ass, its louder, and is less insulated. On the other hand, you can drop it at any time. A hard top in the winter and a soft top in the summer gives you the best of both worlds if you live somewhere you will be running a full top for months at a time.

I have a 4 door, but almost never use the extra space. I did just fine with a YJ and TJ before, take the back seat out and turn it into a tiny couch in the garage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts