Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 TJ that has some pretty bad rust on the frame. My mechanic at first said he would cut out the pieces with rust and replace but is now saying it would be better to get a new frame (more stable). I have no idea what to do. Should I even bother? Any recommendations?

This is a new to me as of about a month. It was a present and it wasn’t looked at before they purchased.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Depends on how many thousands of dollars you can put into it and still feel good about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We found a frame for $1500 and the mechanic said it would probably cost $2000 for him to do the work. I just don’t know if it is a good investment.

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
If the rest of the Jeep is a keeper, ie: the body free of rust and in good shape and the interior good, then it is.

Don't worry about what was spent previously, in accounting terms, that is a sunk cost. Meaning it has been spent, and not part of a future investment decision. From the way you describe the frame, the Jeep is not safe to drive and therefore not really saleable either. So, is the Jeep worth the cost of repairs ($3500) plus what you could get for it at a scrap yard? Most likely the answer is yes.

If on the other hand the body is in bad shape and the interior is in bad shape as well, the decision may be different.

Chalk the original purchase price down to experience. Never ever buy a used vehicle without thoroughly checking the under side. If it is normal fine. If it is extremely rusty, or has fresh paint or undercoat, walk away. (Fresh paint and/or undercoat is many time used to hide rust issues).

Since it was a gift, I would assume you are a student. If so, and if you have some time, find out if the shop would be looking for a helper to work on the Jeep. They would have to pay you and would not reduce the bill any, but, you would be earning some money and learning a great deal about your Jeep. That experience can pay big dividends in the future.

Reactions: tj slipper
1 - 5 of 5 Posts