Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

i am very glad to join you Forum.
My name is Hosam Abou El-Seoud from Egypt i own JK 2010 3.8L Automatic since 5 years now.
i learned about the Dunes driving since 2 years and since then i am trying to upgrade my car to fit the desert.
I lifted the car 2" and i changed the tires to Mickey Thompson 33".
I also changed the bumpers to Warn Elite in the front with the 8K Warn Winch, and back Warn Bumper with tire carrier.
Now i have knocking issue and the car lost some of its power and i was advised to re-gear to 4.88.
i need your kind feedback on which brand i should go for and which gear 4.56 or 4.88 knowing that i might go to 35" one day.

Regards
Hosam Abou El-Seoud

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
I am not an expert on gears and issues they cause, so I'll leave that for someone else to address. I did want to say :welcome:! :wavey:

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Keep checking the engine oil level !!! The 3.8L engines ( not all of them ) have a habit of consuming oil.
They also have problems with crankshaft bearings especially the connecting rod bearing spinning in the rods ( Knocking Sound ? ) .
High RPMs heat up the rods, the big end swells and the shell bearings loose tension
and spin inside the rods.
Supposedly the new Replacement MOPAR rods address this issue...
You might try a 5w-30 oil .
Welcome to the Forum and good luck with yours . "BH"

·
Registered
374 Posts
Welcome...

and FYI, every time you call a JEEP a "Car" a kitten dies and I cry a little. :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Jeep, Egypt, and dunes, nice combo. Who here is an old, old timer and remembers the 60's, as in "The Rat Patrol" TV show. They mounted a Ma Duece on the back of the Jeep and chased Rommel around the desert. Off topic I know but couldn't resist throwing it out there. Good luck with the knocking issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts